BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Honey Dryer

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #11874  by Alfred
 31 Aug 2021, 09:25
Put a saucer of warm water in there -it has to be able to pick something up.
 #11875  by Caroline
 31 Aug 2021, 18:51
I have successfully reduced water content by placing 30lb bucket of honey in warming cabinet alongside a windowsill dehumidifier (the type you put the white crystals in). Depending on the original water content and how much I need to bring it down by, 24 - 48 hrs is usually enough. If you can give the contents of the bucket a stir a couple of times that helps.
I have friends who reduce the water content down by placing honey in shallow tray on a warming rack above their aga, stirring occasionally.
 #11877  by Hornet99
 31 Aug 2021, 19:55
Ahh see what you mean. I'll move it and try again. Thanks
 #11922  by Hornet99
 08 Sep 2021, 12:32
AdamD wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 16:33
One of the problems with OSR honey is that it sets in the frames far too readily, however if you extract it too early, the water content is too high. With this in mind I have (been playing and) adapted an ultrasonic tank for the purpose.

The tank has a built in temperature monitor and heater controlled by a membrane panel. The heating element underneath was a bit too harsh, so I replaced it with a lower powered one. I also replaced the outlet tap with stainless steel for obvious reasons. The 1/2 inch bore is a bit slow, but functional. Within the tank I fitted a stainless steel shaft with a number of disks so as the disks rotate the (warm) honey evaporates. The original bearing for the shaft was plywood but has been replaced by U shaped pieces of (food grade) chopping board. The shaft can be lifted out for cleaning. I was envisaging having to blow air over the disks although that has not proven necessary as a 15 kg bucket of honey will drop its water content by 4 percent in 24 hours. (In a small room with a dehumidifier). The next phase is to use a smaller motor and put the power supply for it under the tank and use the front panel membrane switch for controlling the motor rather than controlling the ultrasonics.
If you like tinkering and feel like making a Mk II I'd be interested in acquiring your Mk 1 dryer....... :)