BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Electric Extractor

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #10172  by MickBBKA
 07 Mar 2021, 17:58
Hi folks, after a bit of advice please.

I am looking to buy a 12 frame radial electric extractor suitable for both deep and shallow national frames, any tips or suggestions ??

Thanks, Mick.
 #10174  by Steve 1972
 07 Mar 2021, 20:17
Not sure if you seen my conversion Mick..i changed a £120 four frame extractor into a eight super frame or four brood frame extractor from manual to electric..i used a mobility scooter motor which was free + £10 on a speed controller and forward and reverse switch..
 #10175  by NigelP
 08 Mar 2021, 08:18
Can't advise on 12 frame....but on the 20 frame extractors you could do worse than one of these at less than a grand
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/extractors/electric-20-frame-radial-extractor/
It's big enough to extract brood frames radially as well as supers and also fits through a standard door.
Just check they have they altered the base though as my old one doesn't take Manley frames, but I think they have solved that issue.
 #10177  by AdamD
 08 Mar 2021, 15:29
I have a 8 frame extractor from Giordano - models have now changed however. Mine uses an electric drill as the power source and works well. It can take 2 brood frames tangentially if needed as a couple of stainless steel frames were supplied for the purpose.
https://www.giordaninox.it/en/products/category/1/26
If you were to consider buying directly from Italy, you will now have to ensure that VAT is accounted for correctly as it's 'gone all complicated'.
 #10190  by MickBBKA
 10 Mar 2021, 00:10
Thanks for the help folks. The Abelo 20 frame is a bit out of my pockets Nigel but does look good. So far the only thing that I can find to meet my needs and pockets is the 12 frame extractor from Thornes, there really is not much to choose from in the UK is there. :(
 #10198  by Spike
 11 Mar 2021, 12:23
There seems to be a huge increase in price for an electric model - often £300 for just a motor and controller which seems excessive.
 #10200  by NigelP
 11 Mar 2021, 17:11
MickBBKA wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 00:10
Thanks for the help folks. The Abelo 20 frame is a bit out of my pockets Nigel but does look good. So far the only thing that I can find to meet my needs and pockets is the 12 frame extractor from Thornes, there really is not much to choose from in the UK is there. :(
Have a look at the Abelo 12 frame, about £200 cheaper and better made IMO.
Also worth asking them for a copy of their Lyson catalogue, they can obtain any of the 100's of different extractor models that Lyson do.
 #10202  by NigelP
 11 Mar 2021, 19:05
I often think what on earth are beekeepers doing with their honey money when they can't afford good bits of kit?
I reckon, after lids/labels/stall fees etc are deducted, each 12oz jar of honey nets me around £5 profit. I'm ignoring my labour costs of accumulating the honey...it's a hobby.
A super contains about 20lbs of honey which is approx 26 x 12 oz jars..... gives you approx £100 pounds profit per super.
One 20 frame Abelo extractor at say a £1000 only needs you to sell 10 supers of honey. In a bad year that's about 2 hives worth of honey .....in a good year 1 hive.

So what is everyone doing with their honey money sales that they can't afford to invest it back into some decent bits of kit? :D
 #10203  by Steve 1972
 11 Mar 2021, 20:39
NigelP wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 19:05
I often think what on earth are beekeepers doing with their honey money when they can't afford good bits of kit?
I reckon, after lids/labels/stall fees etc are deducted, each 12oz jar of honey nets me around £5 profit. I'm ignoring my labour costs of accumulating the honey...it's a hobby.
A super contains about 20lbs of honey which is approx 26 x 12 oz jars..... gives you approx £100 pounds profit per super.
One 20 frame Abelo extractor at say a £1000 only needs you to sell 10 supers of honey. In a bad year that's about 2 hives worth of honey .....in a good year 1 hive.

So what is everyone doing with their honey money sales that they can't afford to invest it back into some decent bits of kit? :D
I Bought me a little 4X4 insured and taxed it and bought some big tyres.. :D ..just aswell really as the new farmer said i can put bees in that field.. :D