BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Using some sort of mains supply for a vapouriser

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #8803  by beebench
 09 Sep 2020, 17:05
Hi, rather than buy a 12v battery and then a charger for my vapouriser I would like to be able to run it off the mains instead (I have mains in my apiary). Can I just buy a car battery charger or is there something else that would fit the bill?
 #8804  by Chrisbarlow
 09 Sep 2020, 19:18
I would suggest if you don't know, then maybe an electrician would be the first port of call as electricity kills. sorry for being negative in the first instance.

I am not a qualified electrician btw. I believe a trickle charger would suffice.

A friend has just purchased one of these to run a 12v system from the mains for another purpose.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-AC-DC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-Driver-Transformer-for-LED-strip-240v/323888308611?hash=item4b693f6183:g:v0YAAOSw~BRcCMmJ
 #8811  by AndrewLD
 10 Sep 2020, 09:27
I believe a vapouriser has an output of around 140 - 150 watts, which equates to 12 amps at 12 volts. A trickle charger is no good for this at all.
Some standard battery chargers would not have that output but you could use a Halfords workshop charger (£75) which has a 20 amp output (do not rely on chargers with 80Amp starter settings - they are not designed for continuous output).
But then there is the question of using such a charger in the apiary - the charger is not designed for outdoor use in a potentially wet or damp environment. It wouId have to be kept dry. I would not risk it.
 #8814  by AndrewLD
 10 Sep 2020, 11:33
NigelP wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:28
You need an AC to 12 volt D C converter, something akin to this would do the job, puts out 120w
https://tinyurl.com/y4oxm8k2
The vapourizers I can find on-line are 140-150 watts; so something akin perhaps, but not the example Nigel gives because it is (I quote from the product description) "Suitable for devices up to 120W Only". Unless of course Nigel knows that the device you are using is rated up to 120 watts (OP did not say).
With the unit in question, it would automatically cut out above 120watts so you would have wasted your money.
 #8815  by NigelP
 10 Sep 2020, 15:46
I said "akin" to that one.
Now try this link.
https://tinyurl.com/y6luhc5l ...max 200w

Of course it wold be better to buy one that matched the wattage of the device, But a lower specked model wouldn't cut out on higher wattage rated machine.
For edification...
The wattage rating of an appliance is the maximum power that a device can safely handle continuously.
Smaller wattage outputs will power vaporisers with higher wattage specifications , but they won't heat up as fast. Think of a light dimmer switch or an electric motor speed controller, they simply alter the power (wattage) the bulb/ motor receives. They work but not as fast or bright as they can.

Adam says - not the case Nigel - the lower output device would be overloaded and might fail or shut down. See my post later.
 #8830  by AndrewLD
 11 Sep 2020, 08:19
I hate this. I said "so something akin perhaps".
The unit you recommend has automatic cut-off protection for overload.
Let's pick something else to argue about - when it comes to electricity, especially mains voltages, I stick within specification and the regulations.
 #8832  by NigelP
 11 Sep 2020, 09:30
Andrew, I didn't recommend anything I said something "Akin" to. Sorry you don't like the word.
Why you are being so argumentative towards me when all I am trying to do is being helpful to original poster?
This is starting to remind of another forum.
 #8833  by AndrewLD
 11 Sep 2020, 10:01
Yes - you did . You have said something akin to this would do the job. In plain language that is a recommendation that it is suitable - but it is not - at all.
This is a public forum and one cannot assume that someone without knowledge will not take what you say at face value and act on that advice.
The first device you recommended is not suitable for most vapourizers as its maximum power rating (120W) is way below the 140 - 150W rating of those commonly found on-line. To present an argument that such a unit would work outside its specification is in my view highly irresponsible.
Furthermore, the usage is obviously for outdoors. I can find no mention of the units you have recommended as being IP rated for such use. In fact I strongly suspect they are not rated for such use. Again irresponsible.
If a person using this forum follows your advice and is injured or there is a fire caused by misuse - you bear responsibility for the advice you have given.