BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• vaping eke?

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #8626  by Alfred
 27 Aug 2020, 13:46
Can vapour be applied down into the hive rather than upwards from the floor?
I was thinking of making a box that would also support the apparatus while the proces takes place.
 #8628  by huntsman.
 27 Aug 2020, 14:50
IMO no reason why not but you might need to include a small fan to circulate the vapour. You might find a suitable fan from a disused p.c. or similar.
 #8629  by NigelP
 27 Aug 2020, 15:25
You don't say what type of vaper you are intending to use Alfred.
If the pan type (passive) a lot of the OA will rise and condense on the roof, similar to the way a lot condenses on the mesh of an open floor when you use these types underneath the floor.
If you use an active system, like the Sublimox then you get a pretty even vapour distribution as it's forced into every crevice due to the pressure it is inserted into the eke. And then you are left with a cloud of crystals in the eke that disperses downwards through the hive within a few minutes. A more efficient distribution to my mind.
The eke I use with the sublimox for vaping at the top has a small hole for the nozzle and a clear perspex cover so I can see what is going on.
 #8633  by Steve 1972
 27 Aug 2020, 17:15
huntsman. wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 14:50
IMO no reason why not but you might need to include a small fan to circulate the vapour. You might find a suitable fan from a disused p.c. or similar.
I don't think a fan is needed..when vaping with whatever method the loud roar from the bees is there ventilation system kicking in trying to get rid of what has sublimated into there little house..even if it does not fill the full colony the bees will carry the crystals around the hive for several days after treatment..
 #9423  by Alfred
 05 Nov 2020, 17:58
I made one that (mostly)works really well using all the ideas put forward.
It's too "prototype" for images to be released on a public forum but it's basically a 4" plywood eke with a draught excluder seal at the bottom and a part perspex lid atop.
A cheap ebay vaporizer is loaded up and pushed through a hole in the side and a 12v fan distributes the vapour and surprisingly keeps the thin perspective from melting.
There are bugbears however .
Lots of cables attached means its unwieldy and the cheap vaporizer components swivel on its shaft dumping raw powder at inopportune moments.
Mark two would be an old carburettor hacked out
,fitted with a diesel glowplug and fan then bolted to the side of the eke .
All hardwired together to one battery cable.
The missus came up with an out of the box idea which I instantly dismissed but is she onto something?
An old smoker fitted out with a fan and the vaporizer crucible,discharged through the
hole in the eke.
The eke would then be cable free and far less of a handful when moving to the next
hive and the parts are already available.
What could possibly go wrong.......?
 #9424  by NigelP
 06 Nov 2020, 08:28
Me thinks you won't be able to keep spout etc hot enough to prevent deposition of OA (from Apibioxal) everywhere but where you need it.
Review on several different types of vaporisers here
https://beekeepclub.com/best-oxalic-acid-vaporizers/
It's not a complete list and doesn't feature the original sublimox, which is what I use. Not cheap but does a very efficient job.
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/varroa-control/sublimox-varroa-oxalic-acid-vaporiser/
 #9427  by Chrisbarlow
 06 Nov 2020, 12:15
NigelP wrote:
06 Nov 2020, 08:28
Me thinks you won't be able to keep spout etc hot enough to prevent deposition of OA (from Apibioxal) everywhere but where you need it.
Review on several different types of vaporisers here
https://beekeepclub.com/best-oxalic-acid-vaporizers/
It's not a complete list and doesn't feature the original sublimox, which is what I use. Not cheap but does a very efficient job.
https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/varroa-control/sublimox-varroa-oxalic-acid-vaporiser/
The VMVAPORIZER MINI Oxalic Acid Vaporizer looks a mean but if kit
 #9455  by Alfred
 10 Nov 2020, 18:02
https://bridge-cottage.com/store
Anyone had experience of these?
It looks simple and I'd hate to buy one and find I could have made my own from plumbing fittings
 #9456  by NigelP
 10 Nov 2020, 18:53
You need to ask yourself why there is no kite mark or any other form of industry standard recognition for what is a potentially a dangerous device.. It's home made using a butane torch in a situation it was never intended to be used for.....being ignited in a confined airspace..... Heat control is difficult, you need several caps, they get so hot OA vaporises before you have them in the burner. It works but IMHO potentially dangerous as nothing is regulated.. It's all silver soldered, ordinary solder and plumbing joints will soon melt under the extreme heat. Thick gloves are essential to prevent burns as is full PPE masks etc..
Having said that I know of several who find it fine. I have one that has remained unused since it's initial trials a few years ago. Butane torch is now solely used for lighting smoker fuel....
Because it is a totally unregistered home made product non of the beekeeping suppliers will touch it with a bargepole.
The guy is leaving himself open to potential lawsuits should a serious accident happen to someone using one.