BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Bird Song App BirdNET

• Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
 #6321  by NigelP
 10 Apr 2020, 14:58
I've been trying to improve my knowledge of bird songs and find whilst some are easy some are surprisingly hard to identify as often you hear the song and rarely see or get a good look at the bird itself. I've tried a few bird song identification app, most aren't worth the time of downloading.
However, I have now struck gold and thought I woulD share with anyone else who like to identify what birds are singing.
Its an experimental app called BirdNET, whats more it's free and there are no adverts. Google store has it for android, not sure if a version for apple exists.
It's simple to use, turn it on it starts recording, you can see a graph of what you are hearing. Use one finger to identify the start and drag finger over area you want analysing and press analyse. It comes back with an identification and a certainty level for that identification. Sp far it's 100% correct on everything I knew and I never knew we had so many linnets in one the forests I walk through... Makes walking slightly more enjoyable in these dark days of lockdown.
Try it and let us know how you get on.
 #6322  by Chrisbarlow
 10 Apr 2020, 15:20
Thanks for sharing Nigel. We've been sat in the garden listening to a Bird wondering what it was. I'm gonna give it a try
 #6515  by stechad
 17 Apr 2020, 10:29
Thanks for that Nigel, will give it a go.
We have so many different birds visiting our garden that I'm sure we have been put on "Twit Advisor"
 #6516  by NigelP
 17 Apr 2020, 11:09
It's good, but what I am finding if you have several birds chirping all at once it can't sort out what is going on. I find it excels when out walking and you have a solitary bird chirping away....then it's very good.
 #6548  by AdamD
 18 Apr 2020, 10:29
I didn't find an apple version. :(
 #7176  by DianeBees
 16 May 2020, 13:41
Downloading it now!
Have been listening to birds on the allotment but can't work out what some of them are. They're very good at hiding in the canal side trees.