BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Emergency pesticide authorisation approved to protect sugar beet in England

• Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
 #12382  by NigelP
 16 Jan 2022, 16:32
Ewen wrote:
15 Jan 2022, 17:27
Are we doomed ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/emergency-pesticide-authorisation-approved-to-protect-sugar-beet-if-specific-conditions-are-met
Nope not in the slightest. I was putting my bees right onto fields of OSR over several years when Neonic were routine seed treatments. Never saw any noticeable ill effects on the bees , just lots and lots of honey.
 #12383  by MickBBKA
 17 Jan 2022, 02:20
No, what would we feed our bees with for winter ? also why would a farmer let beet go to flower ?? It ruins the crop. My farmer grows beet but its never left in the ground long enough to flower. Had my bees on OSR for 11 years with no problems.

I do think there needs to be research from a real independent body on this stuff, our bees fly miles and we have no idea what they are coming into contact with........... Have all your bees ever died for no reason ??
 #12385  by JoJo36
 17 Jan 2022, 06:32
The government issued a temporary authorisation in 2020/21 for about 3/6 months to use the neonicotonoids should the sugar beet crop have a high level of yellows virus and luckily it was never used.
I think it is just an emergency measure which allows the use if and when necessary to stop the destruction of the sugar beet crop without having to apply annually when each one expires.
Indeed most of Europe have had there laws tweaked to allow the same use and have done for several years.
I remember a left leaning newspaper used this as a story a couple of years ago stating it was because of Brexit that the UK has now introduced these laws and if we had stayed in Europe we would have had higher standards, however, they didn't do their homework and after contacting them they 'adjusted' the story!
 #12438  by DianeBees
 07 Feb 2022, 13:27
The derogation requires that no flowering crop be planted in fields for 32 months afterwards.
It also requires that no flowering weeds or margins are allowed for this same duration

Risks to bees will be minimised by measures (listed at paragraph 34) including:

limitations on the amount of seed treatment applied and on the sowing density of the crop
a ban on planting flowering crops within 32 months of the treated sugar beet
; and a requirement for the control of weeds in the crop

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/neonicotinoid-product-as-seed-treatment-for-sugar-beet-emergency-authorisation-application/statement-of-reasons-for-the-decision-on-the-application-for-emergency-authorisation-for-the-use-of-cruiser-sb-on-sugar-beet-crops-in-2022

https://www.ceh.ac.uk/our-science/projects/impacts-neonicotinoids-honeybees
 #12442  by Alfred
 07 Feb 2022, 16:53
This relates to the recent chat around hedgerow flailing.
There will be a minority of responsible farms that adhere to the rules.
But I think it just gives a green light to arbitrarily dousing chemicals under an ' I'm allowed -didn't you know?' umbrella.
Joe public isn't interested in the actual T&Cs so no-one will be challenged.

I'd like the BBKA to up the ante on proactive spray liason( actual policing) rather than meetings and exams.

Now where's that big tub of O.A :oops:
 #12443  by NigelP
 08 Feb 2022, 10:27
Alfred wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 16:53
I'd like the BBKA to up the ante on proactive spray liason( actual policing) rather than meetings and exams.
Yes there seems to be a blind spot that neonic coated seeds (OSR) are bad whereas the alternative of spraying organophosphates and the like is fine.
They are all insecticides that will have detrimental effects on insects, that includes Bees. In an ideal world there would be non, but in the practical world we live they are going to be used. I personally think that Neonic where ,and are, the least harmful to bees.