BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Information on fungicides, herbicides and bio-stimulants

• Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
 #11924  by Bandersnatch
 08 Sep 2021, 15:05
Hi
New beekeeper here.
I'm setting up in the spring of 2022 at the edge of a vineyard. I know that the vines themselves are not useful for bees, the location is perfect (to this beginner) in many other ways.

The owner of the vineyard is very enthusiastic about being as natural as possible for insect control, plant feeds and a few other treatments some of which include seaweeds sprays.. The list is 27 items long and he wants to check that all will be well. We have agreed that he will inform me before any treatment takes place

My question is this: Is there a resource where I can put in the name of the item being used and what, if any, effect it would have on my bees

Many thanks in advance
Martin
 #11925  by Alfred
 08 Sep 2021, 16:13
The very very long way round might be quicker .
The manufacturers overall safety data sheet for each individual product.
If you have to start analysis of each of the components you might never be seen in daylight again.
Dont forget bees forage in a (now proven more than) two mile radius and will encounter chemically hostile territory anyway.
We like to be precious about our bees but it can be pointless if the adjacent landowner is drowning his nettles with Roundup.
 #11927  by Patrick
 08 Sep 2021, 18:17
Hi Martin

The UK Pesticide Guide, commonly referred to as "The Green Book", gives detailed info on permitted pesticides but I am not sure that is really what you are after. Not spraying during flowering periods and in the evening when bees aren't flying, is basic good practice.

I don't know much about vineyard management but I do know that fungicides (applied against things like mildew) can increase the toxicity of other pesticides applied at the same time. So not only does it depend if a specific chemical has actually been tested against honey bees, but its potential effect in combination with others.

A bit of a minefield as you say. I am tempted to take Alfred's view and say locate them where it works for you because where they actually choose to forage could be subject to very different management anyway.
 #11932  by AdamD
 09 Sep 2021, 10:04
"I don't know much about vineyard management but I do know that fungicides (applied against things like mildew) can increase the toxicity of other pesticides applied at the same time. So not only does it depend if a specific chemical has actually been tested against honey bees, but its potential effect in combination with others".

One of the concerns that environmentalists have is that these combinations have not all been tested. However, observable bee poisoning is quite rare and farmers are (mostly) more aware of wildlife than they used to be and will read the instructions and apply accordingly.

I have bees next to a field which will be regularly sprayed with god-knows-what and I have not seen any concern by the bees (or beekeeper) as a result and in the last three years the crops have been Barley, OSR and Sugar Beet, so they would probably been treated with most of the chemicals known to farmers.
 #11934  by Patrick
 09 Sep 2021, 11:05
AdamD wrote: However, observable bee poisoning is quite rare and farmers are (mostly) more aware of wildlife than they used to be and will read the instructions and apply .[/quote

Very true.

Thinking about it, the critical word here is probably observable. The vast percentage of actual hee mortality from any cause normally occurs away from the hive. Noticeable exceptions probably include winter colony die offs, CBPV and robbing maybe? The rest of the time they just never make it back.
 #11935  by Alfred
 09 Sep 2021, 13:17
And of course we refer to use under licence.
Bees that venture into suburban gardens will have a really diverse cocktail that goes under the radar
As a teenager I was given the job of clearing out my late grandfather's garden shed- the H&S executive would have sent in teams with hazmat suits and ventilators given the collection of vintage potions