BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• EPA Blocks a Dozen Products Containing Pesticides Thought Harmful to Bees

• Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
Environmental issues and concerns that affect beekeeping.
 #3234  by AdamD
 23 May 2019, 18:55
From the USA. The ABJ has reported the US Govt agency announced Monday it has canceled the registrations of 12 pest-killing products with compounds belonging to a class of chemicals known as neonicotinoids, as part of a legal settlement.

https://mailchi.mp/dadant.com/abj-extra-may-23-2019-epa-blocks-a-dozen-products-containing-pesticides-thought-harmful-to-bees
 #3248  by Chrisbarlow
 24 May 2019, 18:03
That's surprised me, the Americans seem to like neonics and as Nigel has said before, I can't say I've seen any difference in my bees since it was banned here although various farmers have Said to me they won't be trowing it for much longer. Now that will effect my spring crop
 #3253  by AdamD
 25 May 2019, 08:50
All insecticides kill insects - it's what they were designed to do. We are given information by the environmental lobby that everything just everything should be banned and the farmers say that they cannot live without chemicals. However there must be a balance somewhere. As beekeepers it has been reported often that we don't see a problem with neonics. I do wonder what other damage is done - whether it's to bumblebees or indirectly to sparrows and song-birds due to lack of insect food?