BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Help problem neighbour

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #4387  by Wildfire
 06 Aug 2019, 13:12
Hi guys
My neighbour has been a problem in the past about my bees and so today because I was spending time in my apiary and taking off honey supers the bees were q bit upset si I sent a courtesy note round suggesting he didn't go down the bottom of his garden as there were lots of bees about and promising a complimentary jar of honey
First thing he did was go down the bottom of his garden minus his top so yeah bare chested .Ooh dear very worried any suggestions :(
 #4388  by Japey Edge
 06 Aug 2019, 14:38
Wonder what goes through somebody's head to do that. You posted the note? Maybe give a knock and actually tell them straight to their face. Hopefully it's a complete coincidence and not them being deliberately difficult.

Did you not say anything when you saw him?
 #4389  by Wildfire
 06 Aug 2019, 15:22
I've had problems with him on n the past and he is very difficult to talk to or reason with that's the reason I popped the note round .He is very odd .Other neighbours have has issues with him too nothing to do with bees .Anyway think I panicked a bit but feel I have done the right thing ,also if I went round in person he wouldn't open the door .From a legal point of view I just want everything to be 'right' :?
 #4390  by Patrick
 06 Aug 2019, 17:29
This is the sort of behaviour in modern parlance referred to as “passive - aggressive”. I would use a shorter word.

Unfortunately most of the bees and the law type books are rather old.
 #4392  by NigelP
 06 Aug 2019, 18:18
Hate to say it but keeping bees adjacent to neighbours gardens is a certain recipe for trouble. If you are saying to your neighbour that he can't use parts of his garden when you inspect your bees.......
I know what I would do if someone told me I couldn't use my own garden because of what they was doing in their's......
You need places to keep bees that don't in interfere with other peoples rights to enjoy their own gardens.
 #4395  by Japey Edge
 07 Aug 2019, 11:42
Have you scoped out potential alternative apiaries? A nearby allotment? Friendly farmer?

I only keep mine in my garden because circumstances allow - ie neighbours are more than happy with it. If they weren't I'd pursue the allotment route.
 #4396  by AdamD
 07 Aug 2019, 12:16
Even if you generally have good bees, there can be times when a colony misbehaves and an out apiary is a good thing to have so they can be moved away. I know people who have bees in their back gardens and the neighbours don't know or the bees don't cause a problem. You don't say what problems you have had in the past with your bees/neighbour or how good/bad your bees are, but if he just wants to be awkward, he will probably continue to do so. If you are concerned that he will get in touch with the council, it may be better for you to contact them before he does, for 'advice' and to make them aware of the difficulty. However if they advise you that you can't realistically keep bees if the are a nuisance, then you will need to find a new apiary site.
 #4398  by Patrick
 07 Aug 2019, 19:15
I agree with the other posters on this one - contact your local association (they often get approached with offers of sites) and proactively sound out alternatives.

Won’t comment on neighbour disputes aside from saying they often escalate in my experience and become increasingly unreasonable very quickly. It’s why they invented castles with moats.

Sometimes bees cannot be relied upon to behave in their or your best interests. I don’t know your level of experience so apologies if telling you obvious stuff, but there are times and circumstances where bees can change nature quite abruptly. If that happens in confined urban contexts you need to be able to respond PDQ. Plan ahead and it’s likely to be a lot less stressful.

Who knows , a lot easier alternative site may be available where your relaxing hobby can be enjoyed in peace. 👍
 #4399  by Wildfire
 08 Aug 2019, 11:03
Thankyou all for your input on this issue .
I live having my bees at the bottom of my garden but do appreciate the fact that I may need to move them.
I will draw up a plan B and actually already have 2or3 sites in mind that may be suitable.Will also contact council and local Bee Keepers .
Thanks again