BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Heatwave

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #4291  by Dave W
 27 Jul 2019, 19:07
Hi all,
Do you think this latest hot spell has done any harm to the bees? Or should I say harm to the comb by melting it ?
I seem to have a lack of bees flying ! Now I know you'll say, go and have a look, unfortunately I'm walking about when that's possible on walking sticks due to illness.
Thanks
 #4292  by Chrisbarlow
 27 Jul 2019, 19:17
the bees and the comb I suspect will be unfazed by the heat.

As long as they have enough stores and enough room to expand they will be fine.
 #4305  by MickBBKA
 28 Jul 2019, 02:22
One sweaty week and the whole of Britain shuts down. How do they survive in Spain, Greece, Turkey.....?
Trans Siberian Railway runs 24/7/365 in temps from -40C to +35C. We get -10C or +30C and our rail network collapses. Stop worrying. They have bees in hot countries too..LMAO !
 #4306  by thewoodgatherer
 28 Jul 2019, 08:39
Having my hives in my garden I can confirm that at 34 C I notice absolutely no change in behaviour and they truly seemed un phased even ignoring the additional water supplies I left about. Inspections on Friday revealed nothing unexpected and plenty of additional honey in the supers. Even my colony of native black bees from Irland seemed as happy as pigs in s**t. I think the OMF come into thier own though as I can keep those entrances restricted and the wasps out but at the same time the bees have all the ventilation they need. The association hives are all on solid floors and I would be interested to know it they had a dip in honey during those high temperature days, I know the bees will have been just fine but probably diverting resurces to keeping temperatures down.
 #4307  by mikemadf
 28 Jul 2019, 10:04
My TBH - no frames - is uninspectable over about 28C. The wax softens and even teh slightest angle to teh vertical is fraught...

(my excuse anyway for monthly inspections)
 #4310  by Dave W
 28 Jul 2019, 11:44
Thank you all, as I'm layed up in bed ,or on it , I can see the hives from the bedroom window and just getting paranoid!!! Fortunately some friends of mine have been looking after the hives and I'm very grateful to them. I think that the bees just like to take advantage when you're feeling down or you're backs turned. Before you know it we or should I say they will be getting the bees ready for winter.
Where is the year going!!!!