British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Feeding my bees

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3200  by Patrick
 21 May 2019, 08:34
Jim Norfolk wrote:
19 May 2019, 18:39
Stacks of brood boxes are very heavy for us oldies. Any one tried Rose one size boxes?
Actually Jim, that is a very fair point worth reminding and not just for “oldies”. If you were needing to lift off a 3rd National brood chamber full of honey from the top of a stack (already raised on a stand) every time to inspect, it would test many of us and risk injury. Other larger brood chambers would be even worse.

I like the Rose principle but don’t envisage re-equipping. A full national super is quite heavy as it is. When under time pressure I often remove two at a time and then regret it once airborne :roll:
 #3220  by NigelP
 22 May 2019, 19:38
Chrisbarlow wrote:
19 May 2019, 21:56
all concepts that can be applied to any box size as long as you use the same box size.
A lot of Dadant users do the same running supers. Not sure how they compare weight wise with rose hive. Good system but involves a lot of extra work moving frames around every inspection. But it is , I'm told the best honey producing system there is.
 #3246  by WalnutTreeBees
 24 May 2019, 14:14
If I may just briefly return to the issue wild flowers on road verges.... The charity Plantlife is running a road verges campaign and has lots of good info on their site, including a petition to sign.

Well worth a look:

https://plantlife.love-wildflowers.org.uk/roadvergecampaign
 #3247  by NigelP
 24 May 2019, 17:07
Check out Hratlepool council....all there inner city road verges/etc are seeded with wild flower mixes.