BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Swarminess

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3145  by NigelP
 17 May 2019, 21:49
The problem with the VSH queens and bees is they don't pass on this trait to next generation
Good marketing but unless closed breeding or II not applicable.
I can't see the point in buying in a few queens that don't need varroa treating. Their offspring will ....
 #3162  by mikemadf
 18 May 2019, 11:13
I don't "breed" queens: just ensure the queens I do raise from are not swarmy, runny,aggressive or disease prone. And are easily handled.. Which means out of my eight full size colonies, only two roughly are worth raising queens from. And I cannot control the local drones and the local mongrels are swarmy and aggressive so a nogo area unless I live another 20 years fit enough to keep bees.. Which is unlikely so I am not going to start that venture.
 #3167  by Patrick
 19 May 2019, 09:07
Two out of eight sounds a good basis to go at. I completely agree about the drone wildcard element.

I just wish people with several hives at least actively attended to their worst every year, then they and the rest of us might get somewhere.
 #3173  by Chrisbarlow
 19 May 2019, 12:37
Patrick wrote:
19 May 2019, 09:07
I just wish people with several hives at least actively attended to their worst every year, then they and the rest of us might get somewhere.
Completely agree. Everyone should run a nuc or two, practice some form of queen rearing and cul the worst.