BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Please introduce yourself here ...

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #520  by Nigel Pringle
 06 Sep 2018, 19:23
Glad to see the BBKA forum is back.
I was a regular contributor/agitator :-) on the old one before they pulled the plug. Can't understand facebook so glad to see Lazarus resurrected.
One or two people I recall from the old one...hope the old gang comes along.
There was a lot of experience and decent banter.
Hopefully, more of the same to come.

As for me must be 12 years with bees now and never had one year the same as another. This year was exceptional, never seen a summer like it.
My bees thrived in the hot conditions.
I hope all of yours did also.
 #1101  by Cable_Fairy
 15 Oct 2018, 22:53
My name is Dave living at 800 feet in the Pennines, I got interested a year ago and did a starter course over winter with my local beekeepers. I took delivery of my first colony in July which are in a National, and my second colony (Free) in early September which are in a WBC. There have been a lot of ups and down, not least losing my first queen. I will have some questions over the next few weeks.
 #1112  by AdamD
 16 Oct 2018, 13:45
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.
Ask away! Hopefully your bees are (relatively) free of varroa and have enough winter stores - ready for a Pennine winter.
 #1119  by Chrisbarlow
 17 Oct 2018, 18:07
my names Chris and I have been keeping bees since 2010. I keep bees in nationals, 14x12 and langstroth. I use wood and poly.
 #1127  by thewoodgatherer
 18 Oct 2018, 14:46
Hello, my name is Jonathan, I currently have three colonies, two in WBC and one National in the rear of my Thatch cottage garden in rural Berkshire. Member of local BKA I currently bee keep as a hobby putting the health and wellbeing of my hives first and see honey as a bonus.
 #1153  by Paras
 21 Oct 2018, 09:10
Hi name is Paras here, I currently have 3 colonies in 8 frame Langsthroth set-up. My Apiary is at the back of my garden and has room for 10 hives.

I plan on having 6 - 8 honey production colonies and few Nuc colony for requeening and sales of Nuc's.

This will be my third winter, so I am still learning as I go along.
 #1154  by AdamD
 22 Oct 2018, 16:29
I have a couple of 8 frame national hives - made as an experiment, however they are too small and with double or triple brood and supers on top they get too tall; they work well to overwinter nucs in though. The larger frames of Langstroths would work better in 8 frame boxes.