BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1233  by NigelP
 30 Oct 2018, 19:08
As promised a view through a 6 year old poly-carbonate sheet. Hardest bit is taking photo due to reflection....but you can see what's going on.
 #1234  by Gerry
 30 Oct 2018, 19:44
Nigel: If you can get a piece of polaride and hold it between camera and polycarbonate crown board you can cut out most of the shine from the reflection. You can, of course, buy dedicated polaride filters that fit on the end of the lens of some cameras. Some sun glasses have built in polaroid filters and you can interpose them between camera and crownboard. Hope this helps .

I see I am classified as a newbee (afterall I have only been keeping bees for 59 yrs!) Next year marks 60 yrs since I passed the Preliminary ( basic certificate in old currency)
 #1237  by NigelP
 30 Oct 2018, 20:13
Yeah...I have polarising filters for camera ....but wasn't interested in getting a good shot here, just showing you can still see whats going on through clear poly-carbonate after 6 years of abuse.....as you can see I didn't even scrape the brace comb from the top...
 #1238  by Patrick
 30 Oct 2018, 23:11
I am surprised how clear they still are I must say.

Hi Gerry, good to hear from you. 59 years eh? Must be starting to get the hang of it by now surely?!
 #1243  by DianeBees
 31 Oct 2018, 18:10
Gerry wrote:
I see I am classified as a newbee (afterall I have only been keeping bees for 59 yrs!) Next year marks 60 yrs since I passed the Preliminary ( basic certificate in old currency)
Welcome! And that's a remarkably long time!

Would you like me to ask Chris if it could be changed to something else? :)
 #1244  by nealh
 31 Oct 2018, 19:34
DianeBees wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 18:10
Gerry wrote:
Welcome! And that's a remarkably long time!

Would you like me to ask Chris if it could be changed to something else? :)

Old bee :roll:
Just kidding Gerry.
 #1250  by DianeBees
 01 Nov 2018, 11:25
nealh wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 19:34
Old bee :roll:
Just kidding Gerry.

At our central council meeting we heard from a beekeeper who started keeping bees in 1947. There's one who started earlier than him too.
 #1293  by nealh
 08 Nov 2018, 15:31
Such a nice mild day following yesterdays downpours so repaired the wooden raft my bee equipment shed sits on, a pair of 4 x 2 bearers had started to rot on one end of the shed base. Two and half hrs later repair all done and timbers creosoted. Though the raft is sat on concrete pads and there is good airflow underneath , one corner/end has a build up of leaf matter/detritus that had gone unnoticed causing the rot.
That done I decided to make a start on some clear insulated polycarb crown boards, routed a groove into some 3 x 1 redwood to make up 1/2 doz crown boards.
Polycarb isn't very cheap but found some unsued 5mm x 560mm sq ceiling light defusser panels on ebay, working out at £7.60 a panel was a lot cheaper then other offeings I found. These I cut to size this afternoon ready to make up the boards, along with some 1200 x 450mm x 50 celotex. All in all 6 insulated boards which will take two or three hours to make will come in at sub £16 each.
Another advantage of a crownboard to look through is to assess the spread of fumes during vaping as well as checking on the colony without having to disturb them.
 #1347  by nealh
 14 Nov 2018, 22:07
9Had a call yesterday about honey bees at a property not far from me about 10 mins cycle ride , today I ventured out to see and found out that the swarm had arrived back in June. The bees now a colony (obviously) have set up home in the pitched roof of a front porch bay window and were very busy foraging, from what I was told they appear to have come from the direction of a local church dating from c1100 and some nearby listed properties. Depending on what the couple wish to do, I may well be returning late next spring to hopefully assist in removing the colony. Not being insured for building work I have said I am willing to remove the colony for small remuneration if they secure the services of a builder/roofer to expose the area, I also mentioned to them to contact their buildings insurers as they may cover the cost of all works to be done which may be up to a grand or two ( complete guess) as scaffolding will be needed to access them from a stable footing.