BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #808  by nealh
 25 Sep 2018, 18:20
Painted my new Abelo poly broods that arrived this morning.
Been to my 3 apiary sites and a quick peak inside my six colonies also gave them a feed withit in mind that ivy should be out in flower soon not gone mad with feed.
 #837  by nealh
 27 Sep 2018, 23:57
Mixed up some sugar for feeding.
Watched the bees to day, yellow pollen incomming and HB stripe on some bees.
No distinct ivy aroma yet, Ivy I have seen lattelly isn't in flower yet.
Checked traps a few wasps in the liquid ones and flies in the fishy one.
Cleaned up about 15 supers/broods now stacked with Acetic treatment.
C/B's , rapid clearer's & Q/Ex's cleaned/sterilised and stacked a way.

Ordered some light weight #3 mesh (6.35mm sq) , 1m x 0.9m which arrived promptly for about £13. Spent about 45mins cutting and bending mesh to make a wide full entrance anti V.v intruder guard ( I'm calling it Mk1 version). Ready to trial it next year to see how it works out , symmetrically enlarged a few holes to approx. 7mm x 6.35mm to see if drones & queens are able to come and go. Main use if successful think will be for mid summer onwards attachment to aid against V.v entering hives.
 #998  by DianeBees
 07 Oct 2018, 17:03
I got one a sting on my arm today.
Moved a stand that was in the garden. I'd put a veil on as it was in front of a hive and whilst it wasn't that busy they were in the way. Got behind the hive with it and suddenly felt a scratch on my arm and there's a bee with her sting in me!
I've also put stuff away in the shed tidier so I can still get in. Made a note that there are boards and excluders need cleaning and putting away.
Set up a monitoring trap that's made to a slightly different design - without a roof but with a drain hole in so won't drown things.
Really need to summon up some enthusiasm for jarring up honey.
 #1121  by Chrisbarlow
 17 Oct 2018, 18:53
Ive been putting insulation on top of some wooden hives
 #1162  by Paras
 23 Oct 2018, 12:51
I have only been hefting the hives on weekly basis, this is to just to ensure that they have enough stores.

Plenty of pollen being brought in at present, It appears they are storing up for next year.
 #1169  by Chrisbarlow
 23 Oct 2018, 19:34
Paras wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 12:51
I have only been hefting the hives on weekly basis, this is to just to ensure that they have enough stores.

Plenty of pollen being brought in at present, It appears they are storing up for next year.
that sounds like good advice Para. I have not been down to any of my colonies today but at the weekend they were all bringing in pollen. An impressive amount of activity at the moment.
 #1175  by AdamD
 24 Oct 2018, 09:16
My bees are pretty well done for the winter - at the weekend I took off the last two or three empty feeders at my out apiary and ensured there was insulation on the top of all colonies. I need to add a few bricks here and there to weigh the roofs down.
I carried out a check on a late supercedure of a 2018 queen at the weekend too. The new queen is laying nicely with four good frames of sealed brood. Result!
 #1180  by Steve (The Drone)
 24 Oct 2018, 17:23
I completed my IPM last month- MAQS strips. As now no verroa drop I Oxalic acid vaped them three days ago to check up on the efficacy of the treatment. 4 hives had drops from zero to 5. Hive no.5 had a drop of 40. Will vape this hive again at the end of the week. ( or maybe all of them!)
 #1182  by Steve (The Drone)
 24 Oct 2018, 17:37
I applied the MAQS a month ago whilst the weather was fine and some drones flying. Hive no.5 is the closest to another beekeeper’s colonies. Perhaps with warmer Autumns we should treat later as there could be re-infection going on.