BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13096  by NigelP
 31 Aug 2022, 17:24
Same boat with one of mine. She was laying then she disappeared. Not the first queen to do that this season. Lack of drones as well.....we will wait and see.

Added cleared boards at heather site 1, they are rammed. All double brood have filled three supers each and stuffed the top brood box. Probably leave them that as their winter feed.
 #13098  by AdamD
 01 Sep 2022, 08:30
I've had supercedure queens mate during September so if an old queen is missing and theres a young 'un around, you still have a chance of her finding a drone congregation area somewhere.
If she doesn't mate, then you have the fun of trying to find her before replacing/uniting later in Spetember.
 #13099  by Steve 1972
 04 Sep 2022, 15:52
Fed two light colonies yesterday just single brood boxes no supers..probably take the last of the supers of next week and start varroa treatment and feed any that feel light..
 #13101  by JoJo36
 05 Sep 2022, 04:51
Do you feed 2-1 syrup in the autumn Steve?
I've heard lots of beekeepers recently using a block of fondant instead (which sounds great and so much easier) but wondered about the ivy nectar and the trouble it can create going rock hard in the frames when feeding this way? Sounds a pain in the neck to manage it so I'm sticking to the syrup for now?!
Would be interested to hear other peoples views on this?!
 #13103  by AdamD
 05 Sep 2022, 09:54
I usually feed syrup.
Rather than give it a large dose, I tend to feed over a period of a few weeks which encourages queens to lay and also would mix with any ivy honey that's brought in. However I dose slabs of rock hard ivy honey in frames and it is consumed without any apparent issue.
I tend to keep fondant for feeding at other times - late winter/early spring. However I have some takeaway containers with mixed fondant/pollen substitute which wasn't used in spring this year which have gone on a few nucs as there's little pollen around at the moment and it would be good to help the smaller colonies prepare for winter by getting some protein in now.
 #13104  by JoJo36
 05 Sep 2022, 17:56
Thanks Adam, that's interesting to hear!
When do you put the frames of rock hard ivy honey in your hives and when/where do you get these if your feeding syrup slowly??!!
It's just interesting to hear other peoples views on feeding and why for instance would you not just feed fondant if the ivy honey is okay for the bees and not a problem for you??!!
Thanks again!
:)
 #13105  by NigelP
 05 Sep 2022, 19:06
Down to price and convenience to you really. Cheapest is make your own 2:1 syrup (that is imperial measures, NOT metric. 1 pint to 2 lbs of sugar....NOT 2kg of sugar to 1 Litre of water.
The ambrosia syrups (high fructose) are incredibly expensive, usually around £25 for 15.5kg....which is approx the equivalent of 15 litres in volume of 2:1 syrup.....which needs around 12kg of sugar at 60+p/kg. (£8)
12.5kg fondant is around £25 ...but can be got cheaper by some.

Just do whatever you need or think is most appropriate. There is no right or wrong about feeding the different alternatives.

For the first time ever we may end up with ivy honey uup North. Bright yellow pollen is flooding into most hives already. It usually appears late October...
 #13106  by JoJo36
 06 Sep 2022, 08:03
Thanks Nigel
Just weighing up the pros and cons of making up own syrup as opposed to buying ready made if you factor in the cost of electricity now??!!
Very different views I have found re feeding fondant??!! Sounds too good to be true??!!
Also, buying, storing and making up syrup is a bit more hassle??!!
Maybe a tanker of syrup for the commercial beekeeper is more viable??!! :)
 #13113  by AdamD
 08 Sep 2022, 08:09
Last year I made up syrup with the help of a submersible pump and a water butt. Cold water in first, then add sugar. The pump struggled a bit with the thick syrup but probably used less electricity than using hot water from the tap/kettle. Relatively easy and quick although the wasps are of course always interested in the drips around the tap.