• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2862  by Chrisbarlow
 29 Apr 2019, 21:28
Extracting and putting supers back on colonies
 #2877  by Chrisbarlow
 01 May 2019, 21:58
grafting and removing supers, yippee, the amber nectar so to speak. And a little but of DIY making up transport boxes.
 #2886  by Chrisbarlow
 02 May 2019, 15:14
Chrisbarlow wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 15:48
Made up 3 queenless nucs early April. 2 now have very nice looking mated queens. The third, there is a queen but no eggs.who'd have thought it
All three got mated in the end but two now have supercedure cells. Queens are in, eggs are present, nucs not overcrowded and sealed cells in two of em . Interesting
 #2887  by AdamD
 02 May 2019, 17:04
Occasionally bees get it wrong and cutting out of supercedure cells results in the queen remaining and doing fine. However supercedure cells are generally well-fed and result in good queens, so you could allow them to be sealed and harvest them, at least the first time.
 #2888  by Patrick
 02 May 2019, 18:40
They also sometimes appear to change their mind and break down supercedure cells.

I still remember a lovely cell the size of a melon that promised a queen the size of a condor. Then they broke it down and carried on with original queen. Doh!

Ok, I might be exaggerating a teensy weensy bit..
 #2891  by Chrisbarlow
 02 May 2019, 20:29
Patrick wrote:
02 May 2019, 18:40
I still remember a lovely cell the size of a melon that promised a queen the size of a condor. Then they broke it down and carried on with original queen. Doh!

Ok, I might be exaggerating a teensy weensy bit..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #2892  by Chrisbarlow
 02 May 2019, 20:29
AdamD wrote:
02 May 2019, 17:04
so you could allow them to be sealed and harvest them, at least the first time.
I feel a plan brewing Adam
 #2899  by MickBBKA
 03 May 2019, 14:16
Nothing...…...AGAIN...… 6C Here today, frost forecast for tonight and not forecast to be above 10C for the next week.
I must admit, I read the BBKA mag ' this month in the apiary ' section with a very ironic smile on my face.

Maybe I should be preparing Nuc boxes for when it eventually warms up, one sunny day and they will all be swarming as there will no doubt be QC's in colonies by now. No flying bees so not going to look yet.

Cheers. Mick.
 #2903  by Jim Norfolk
 03 May 2019, 17:55
About the same here Mick. Nothing happening. Yesterday I was able to go through my colonies. One had queen cups with eggs. I doubt they will bother to rear them in this weather and anyway its a bit cold for me to do much about swarm control and the queens are clipped, so I will just leave them to it. They have filled a super each which is nearly capped but I won't take it yet. Last year they filled then emptied their first super and needed feeding.