BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3322  by AdamD
 31 May 2019, 16:34
Nigel, So if you may be getting twice last years honey and you had to sell some of the older stuff off anyway, what's the plan for the honey this year? !
 #3323  by Japey Edge
 31 May 2019, 18:00
Carried out my third inspection to find the bees are really going for it and building nicely! One of the frames with foundation from day 1 is fully built and has capped brood so I am chuffed to see that!

I took down a queen cup - not sure if people do that or not, I'm open to pointers here.

Now the likely unpopular bit. I added the shallow box that I added then removed over a week ago as they're running out of space. I nadir'd it though. In the heat of the moment it made sense - bees going through this box to get up, and heat rising to the brood area... But now I'm on this forum I'm thinking experienced beeks may not have picked that option.

Didn't see the queen but saw plenty of BIAS. Plenty!
 #3327  by NigelP
 31 May 2019, 20:26
Jazz photos you posted on another site tell me your bees are not ready by a long way for a super yet, either below or above. Take it off and store it for a few weeks. Let hem build up and consolidate. Let them tell you what they need. You are jumping the gun in your eagerness...it's 21 days from egg laying to worker bees.

Simple question how many frames of brood are there? Is it wall to wall or a round oval in the middle of the frames.
In either case if the answer is less than 8 do nothing for the time being
 #3328  by Japey Edge
 31 May 2019, 21:17
NigelP wrote:
31 May 2019, 20:26
Jazz photos you posted on another site tell me your bees are not ready by a long way for a super yet, either below or above. Take it off and store it for a few weeks. Let hem build up and consolidate. Let them tell you what they need. You are jumping the gun in your eagerness...it's 21 days from egg laying to worker bees.

Simple question how many frames of brood are there? Is it wall to wall or a round oval in the middle of the frames.
In either case if the answer is less than 8 do nothing for the time being
Ah. You're right I am eager.. :-(

I saw brood on 7 frames. The rest, bar one, were filled with nectar/honey with say 25% of it all capped. The last one they had drawn out about 50% of the frame. Normal sized cells were filled with nectar/honey and the rest was empty drone comb.

Will take it back off and try to chill out.

Us newbies must frustrate you experienced guys. Don't be mean to me next time at Wynyard!! :lol: :lol:
 #3335  by NigelP
 01 Jun 2019, 18:56
AdamD wrote:
31 May 2019, 16:34
what's the plan for the honey this year? !
As much as possible...
Will be trying to sell about 1/2 of this seasons spring crop to a honey packer..but not immediately.
Currently everyone and their mother has a crop of spring honey...better to wait until we get our usual summer and they can't get any...They are tough negotiators and if I can get £3/lb and come out with 5 fingers per hand will be ahead...
Will be taking hives to the Borage and heather as the season progresses. Need to find a new heather site as one the two I use is no longer available...anyone know of a site on North Yorks moors...I'm all ears.
 #3336  by NigelP
 01 Jun 2019, 19:01
Japey Edge wrote:

Us newbies must frustrate you experienced guys. Don't be mean to me next time at Wynyard!! :lol: :lol:
Not in the slightest..it's a delight to hear of anyone starting beekeeping and sharing their experiences...there is no sniggering in the back seats...well not on this forum.
We have all been there... made all the mistakes you will make/are about to make/and invented new ones that you haven't even heard of. Oh and the first honey you get will be the best tasting honey in the whole wide world...no question about it.
Funny thing is our bees will survive despite our best efforts to bugger them up....but you will need more hives than you currently have . :P
 #3340  by Patrick
 01 Jun 2019, 21:20
Exactly the opposite Jazz, asking questions and comparing responses is what makes it interesting.

Anybody who thinks they know definitely everything bees will do next probably doesn’t actually keep bees...😉!
 #3341  by MickBBKA
 02 Jun 2019, 02:02
NigelP wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 19:01
Japey Edge wrote:

Not in the slightest..it's a delight to hear of anyone starting beekeeping and sharing their experiences...there is no sniggering in the back seats...well not on this forum.
We have all been there... made all the mistakes you will make/are about to make/and invented new ones that you haven't even heard of. Oh and the first honey you get will be the best tasting honey in the whole wide world...no question about it.
Funny thing is our bees will survive despite our best efforts to bugger them up....but you will need more hives than you currently have . :P
I have to say, Nigel is one of the most helpful, open and honest beekeepers out there. Yes he can be opinionated (lol) as many of us are, but he has never done me a bad turn and will help you if he can....... PS, I drink Whisky Nigel :D
 #3347  by Cable_Fairy
 02 Jun 2019, 16:52
I did my weekly inspection this afternoon, and there on the third frame looking up at me was the queen I have been looking for since she hatched last July. I have them double brood, and she has been laying all over the place, almost every frame, however I must be the only keeper without a Queen Cell or two. I have my other hive ready so I can split them, or should I just go ahead and hope for the best.
 #3348  by Adam Bee
 02 Jun 2019, 17:34
Japey Edge wrote:
Us newbies must frustrate you experienced guys. Don't be mean to me next time at :twisted: Wynyard!! :lol: :lol:
Glad I found you, Jazz! Thanks for the directions. I feel I found a better place to be in. I appreciate it.