BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #11711  by JoJo36
 13 Aug 2021, 05:00
Alfred
The new extractor looks REALLY impressive to say the least! That will no doubt last you or years and looks well built too!
You'll have to start selling it now to get your money back??!! :)
Blimey Nigel the hives look like cash dispensers all lined up and good luck to you as not many people realise the time it takes moving them on the moors for the heather and the fact that none of the honey is guaranteed despite the efforts!
Looks like a good move there! :)
 #11713  by Patrick
 13 Aug 2021, 14:05
Looks a great new toy, er sorry, vital piece of food production equipment Alfred. Possibly daft question but if you remove the screens can it be used radially as well? Looks like the cage is universal.
 #11714  by NigelP
 13 Aug 2021, 15:47
Nice one Alfred....I make that approx 6supers of honey you will need to sell to get your investment for nothing....That's assuming 20lbs honey/super and £7 profit (minimum) per lb in sales....of course you will need to invest in jars/lids and labels...
Interested in what you think of the build quality. When I first saw these in a showroom I thought they were a bit tinny, but that one looks substantial enough.
 #11717  by Alfred
 13 Aug 2021, 19:42
Thanks people.
Its a 12 frame radial with the optional tangent screens also fitted so you could do 8 shallow ,4 shallow+4 deep or four 1412 s per spin if you were blessed with some thick produce.
It was nt much more than the 9 frame so with the added flexibility of odd or even numbers radially the decision wasnt difficult.
I shied away from the 66 frame version though...
The name is the Hungarian word for queen incidentally

It weighs a ton,and we had to take one of the legs off to get in through the door
.I'm of wiry build and I can't lift it alone.
My background is engineering ,a skilled toolmaker back in the day and I can say the quality is another universe away fromthe first two coca-cola tins I purchased.
The rotor joins are laser cut and it has a plate with the serial number-quite reassuring.
You cant make the side of the drum buckle by pushing on it and the rim is 1\2" square stainless steel One steel and one thick perspex lids.
A safety switch in case you fall in.
At a push you could mix concrete in the thing.
Conical base and underslung running gear to keep the top uncluttered.

The motor is a belt drive which will make a replacement easier to find if/when it fails
4 year warrany too.
That controller has it's own manual,with different programs to fathom out and going both directions like a washing machine.

I am making up a shallow platform for it as the tap is just a little too low for 25litre bucket ad filter set to go under
My first three cars together didnt cost this much - it took a LOT of persuasion I can tell you :?
 #11719  by JoJo36
 13 Aug 2021, 20:16
I'd consider buying it a jacket for the cold weather too!! :)
Seriously though you enjoy beekeeping and you cant take it with you so enjoy!! :)
 #11721  by Caroline
 14 Aug 2021, 05:07
Alfred wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 20:46
Haha
How do you clean these out with minimal waste?
Until its paid itself every drip will count...
Depends how agile you are! I am slight in build and have long arms, which means I am able to reach down between the cage of my 4frame extractor and, using a silicone cooking spatula, push the honey from the sides to the bottom and then scrape the bottom as well. I can JUST manage to tip the extractor at the same time and push the residue honey out through the honey gate. It's a sticky job. If anyone has an easier way............ ;)
 #11722  by JoJo36
 14 Aug 2021, 06:01
I use a dough scraper or silicone spatula and push anything sticky( actually loads still) left on sides into bottom, then tilt slightly to push rest of honey through holes in bottom and finally the honey gate. Every bit does count and it really is surprising how much comes off when the extractor appears almost empty!