BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #11699  by Alfred
 11 Aug 2021, 20:10
Dummied down the last super to see if they will cap the remaining four frames by Sunday when the extraction begins.
Tipped out a queenless two frame nuc in front of a weak hive.
Within an hour and 45 they were all inside so that experiment was a success.

Took down all the bait hives expecting them stuffed with waxmoth silk but it was fine -just a dead cast swarm I was unaware of.

Discovered my new suit leaks -walloped on the neck and down my back.

Packing up to come home a swarm arrived.
Thay worked their way around the site hesitating wherever there had been a bait hive ,so it was obviosly pre planned.
Sods law as they were a hefty size.
Checked mine- it was none of them.
Not encountered one in August before.
 #11700  by JoJo36
 12 Aug 2021, 04:25
Did you get your extractor Alfred?!
Thats interesting re the queen less bees joining a new weak hive, I'm sure that happens quite often with bees in reality when you have loads of them flying around not just looking and being accepted in "their own" parent hives!
Blimey, that doesn't sound a good advert for your new suit! Was it a recommend?! :(
Shame about swarm, you were just too efficient:)
 #11702  by Alfred
 12 Aug 2021, 07:42
I actually bought three extractors.....
First two were sent back -absolute pants despite not being the cheapest.
In the end I took a deep breath ,sold two of the Lear Jets (and one grandchild) and bought an enormous professional one :shock:
Based on my current yield I should break-even around 2079 :D

Looks like it will be a repeat excersise with the suit
 #11704  by JoJo36
 12 Aug 2021, 10:31
Sounds like a beast you've bought now!
Well, you've gone from "squishing through a cloth " to "position the next frame" and press go in the 20 frame power house!!:)
Got any pics?!
You're probably being very modest re your honey harvest, I expect it will be paid for by next year??!! :)
I'm still using my Easiebee one (well my husband does most of the spinning) and only got a few hives so it will do for me!!
 #11705  by NigelP
 12 Aug 2021, 15:35
Visited hives on the moors. The sweetest smell in beekeeping greeted me as I lifted the crown boards, the distinctive aroma of heather honey. Nothing quite like it. Moors are looking wonderful and supers are filling nicely.Needed to add extra to a few colonies....they are piling it in.
As you can see from the 2 pictures below we have totally ignored the advise of putting hives behind shelter on one moor :D ....simply because there isn't any. My others on another moor are nicely secured behind a wall. Mick and Steve will probably recognise the TV transmitter mast sticking up in the background as the reason they currently have no TV or Radio reception around Teesside area.
Google Bildsdale mast fire....it happened yesterday afternoon with many TV and radio services still not working.

#11706  by Alfred
 12 Aug 2021, 21:08
There's a mast like that near us Nigel- alledgedly supplying most of the Midlands with content
Shame if that went too
Eamon Holmes would never live it down.

[quote="JoJo36"....
Got any pics?![/quote]

#11708  by MickBBKA
 13 Aug 2021, 01:30
Errr...Steve and I live in the 21st century and have digital tv & radio. I have that extractor and I bloody love it, no screens though, I don't see the point having had a tangental extractor for the last 9 years.