BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #6507  by Patrick
 16 Apr 2020, 21:48
Be interested in how you find it Chris. A 16x10 frame full of capped brood is a joy to behold but I would be fibbing if I said I had never lost my grip on the short lug ends at least once. Particularly hilarious when it is the one the queen is wandering over.

Hence I often hold them partly by the top and side bars and ignore the lugs.
 #6508  by Chrisbarlow
 17 Apr 2020, 01:52
I like langstroth frames with short lugs
Good tip on holding the frames though

Much easier to make up that's for sure.
 #6568  by stechad
 19 Apr 2020, 15:39
Opened up a nuc I made up 5 weeks ago to check how things were to find there is a new laying queen in there, bit of a surprise as I thought I had only put capped brood in there. At least it shows queens can mate around here now.
 #6571  by Japey Edge
 19 Apr 2020, 16:33
Inspected my 3 colonies. One doing really well although I'd like them to collect more nectar. Didn't see queen but saw eggs
Second full hive doing OK but want them to build up more. Didn't see queen but saw eggs
Nuc I'm not sure about. Didn't see 2018 queen or eggs but saw two charged cups. Only knew they were charged after opening them.

I think my plan of action is to stick a test frame in the nuc, donated from the buckfast colony. I know the idea is to take from the strongest colony, but I'd like the genetics to be optimised. Will have to be sensible about the frame, making sure it least impacts colony strength. Might do that today, or at some point next week. Will do some research first.

Open to any tips.
 #6577  by Steve 1972
 19 Apr 2020, 17:27
Japey Edge wrote:
I think my plan of action is to stick a test frame in the nuc, donated from the buckfast colony. I know the idea is to take from the strongest colony, but I'd like the genetics to be optimised. Will have to be sensible about the frame, making sure it least impacts colony strength. Might do that today, or at some point next week. Will do some research first.

Open to any tips.
Jazz you don't need to use a full frame ..I have done it before a few times and it works ok..just cut a piece of comb with eggs from the bottom of the frame around three inches square if you can avoid the wire..take a frame out of the Queenless hive and cut the same size square out..place the piece of comb with eggs into your Queenless hive frame and secure it with a couple of elastic bands around the frame..that way you are not going to weaken your nice buckfast colony..
 #6585  by MickBBKA
 20 Apr 2020, 01:42
Japey Edge wrote:
So why take from the weaker so called ' Buckfast ' if you have stronger genetics in others ?
 #6588  by Japey Edge
 20 Apr 2020, 07:24
MickBBKA wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 01:42
So why take from the weaker so called ' Buckfast ' if you have stronger genetics in others ?
I was just thinking from the point of view that the "Buckfast" is from a reputable supplier/breeder and they're notably gentler. Would be interested in having a local, a "Buckfast" and a hybrid of the two, since I have three colonies.
 #6592  by Japey Edge
 20 Apr 2020, 13:20
Been listening to some of Michael Palmer's talks while working, like the sustainable apiary. Very interesting stuff. Looking for more of these talks to listen to as I'm running out rapidly. Name some good beekeepers who give talks at honey shows and what not - I'll see if they've got something on YouTube for me to listen to :-D

I'm tempted to try Palmer's cell builder. Been watching Richard Noel try it out on YouTube. I think I need an isolated apiary and maybe a few more colonies first though :roll:
 #6593  by NigelP
 20 Apr 2020, 15:07
Have a look at the Monk and the honey Bee on youtube, it's in 5 parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4j9tSneoL4