BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1688  by NigelP
 15 Jan 2019, 13:01
For what it's worth CF clustering can be very variable. Lot depends on colony size, larger= more heat so less "need" to cluster. Type of hive has a huge influence, bees much less inclined to cluster in poly than wooden with no insulation. Having open mesh floors vs closed makes a big difference.
Of course the obvious major factor is weather conditions where you live.
That said bees are born survivors, even managing to survive when crown boards where propped open with matchsticks to give them a nice through icy draft all winter. Hope no-one still practises this archaic wintering "technique".
Just make sure they have plenty of stores.....although even this can catch you out. The hive I've just added fondant to had well over 10 litres of thick syrup late Sept/Oct......seems they converted it into bees rather than stores....must have some Italian blood....
 #1692  by nealh
 15 Jan 2019, 16:47
I don't know of any match stickers but know someone who routinely preaches /leaves feed holes open all year round and no top insulation.
 #1693  by NigelP
 15 Jan 2019, 17:50
I think I would add that into the "just as bad".
I guess it depends if you want thriving colonies come the spring or just surviving......
 #1694  by Jim Norfolk
 15 Jan 2019, 18:13
Looking at the latest newsletter from my local BKA, the advice is feed holes open in winter and closed in summer. Not what I do. One of my colonies has the feed hole under 4 inches of insulation, mainly because that was the thickness of the free left over bits of insulation.
 #1695  by AdamD
 15 Jan 2019, 19:47
Jim, I too have just noticed Paul's 'feed-hole open' statement. I'll have to have a word when I next see him, although he has been keeping bees for a long time and I doubt he will be persuaded!
 #1697  by Patrick
 15 Jan 2019, 20:41
I can understand someone brought up on solid floors thinks top ventilation is necessary, but in winter with open floors you often find the cluster tight against an open feedhole, which says to me the bees are physically closing the feed hole for themselves.
 #1699  by Jim Norfolk
 16 Jan 2019, 10:30
NBU Leaflet "Preparing Honeybee Colonies for Winter" advocates the use of matchsticks for hives with solid floors. The wording is vague but they also seem to be suggesting matchsticks if Varroa trays are left in. "If your apiary site is not vulnerable to windy conditions, and you are using open mesh floors, they can be left with the floor inserts out. If not, or your hives are on solid floors, then you can lift the crown board on two-millimetre laths. Used matchsticks are excellent for this purpose."
 #1701  by AdamD
 16 Jan 2019, 15:36
There are inserts and inserts. The Thornes Bees on a Budget inserts which are a thin bit of correx do not seal and I have lost them as they blow out in winter. So they would not reduce updraft to any extent if the feed hole was open.

Something like the Paynes or MB insert closes up the hive quite well and can even scrape varroa off unless you bend it on it's way out. Of course those polyhives don't have a ventilated roof.
 #1702  by NigelP
 16 Jan 2019, 17:36
For what it's worth I seal all my poly hives open mesh floors in winter. Either the Paynes corex insert or the Abelo poly tray. Condensation is not an issue. At least with the large colonies I overwinter it isn't...might be if you only have a few seams of bees.
My thinking (rightly or wrongly) is you've put all that insulation in your walls and loft and now you leave an open floor beneath this that is open to the elements. The heat loss by rapid diffusion when windy is considerable.
Of course bees survive with open mesh floors (as they do with matchstick propped crown-boards)...but would they come out of winter fitter and stronger if you sealed them off?
I think they do, but I don't have any solid evidence where I've tested this. I do know that in most cases store usage is minimal, suggesting that they aren't burning their way through stores to keep warm. Although as an earlier picture of mine shows there are exceptions....wouldn't be beekeeping if there weren't...