BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #11034  by Alfred
 30 May 2021, 20:10
Collected a swarm.It had landed on a church boundary wall.
Four foot off the ground.
Textbook capture.
Returning later for the mopup.
Big contrast to Thursday when an acquaintance pleaded me to do a cutout.
I grudgingly obliged but as it hapened things could have been slightly worse.
The (now adult) kids old wendy house had slipped its moorings and tumbled off its hillside perch ten foot down the bank onto the lawn.
It was an 8 ft sqare hut with a 5"deep floor void completely stuffed with comb.
The old boy had taken it upon himself to rake off as much comb with a garden hoe as he could (???)before giving up and taking the ladyships advice and calling someone who knew what they were doing.
But he called me instead. :lol:
It wasnt that bad really,they obviosly were reasonably pissy by then but I think I got Q in the first boxful and two more and it was full.I tipped out a few more helpings onto the sheet,and left them while I went to get another nuc.
By sunset I had 99percent of them plus two additional bin bags of broodcomb and one of honeycomb.And a hole in my veil which two bees had made good use of:cry:
He called on Friday to say they were back :o
It turned out there was around another boxful in the residual timbers of the original site.,now closely guarded by the remaining flying bees.
Three hours,a spray bottle full of sugary water,two more stings and they were eventally bagged.
Ive been to see them today-fairly lively,probably a split and requeen.We'll see.
Both these people insisted on paying me- I asked for them to donate to the hospice instead - everybody wins!
As I said after my previous cutout- never, ever again....
 #11036  by JoJo36
 31 May 2021, 05:22
Blimey!! What a result, a couple of new colonies, a happy neighbour a donation for a charity and for just a couple of bee stings!!!
Good on you and as you say "never again"!!!!!!!!
 #11037  by Patrick
 31 May 2021, 09:57
Good work Alfred!

I have to say although I share your view regarding cut outs in built structures, I too would have been unable to resist the mention of Wendy house subject to a land slip and flooding.

A cross between the Posieden Adventure and Hectors House. How could any right minded person turn that down? :D
 #11038  by Alfred
 31 May 2021, 11:39
Well it had come to rest on its side so the under floor was easily accessable but there was a big clump inside so I ended up righting the ship and getting inside.
Felt a right pillock but did consider making myself a drink with the little abandoned tea set .
Right minded indeed Mr Patrick
 #11039  by Patrick
 31 May 2021, 12:55
Alfred wrote: Felt a right pillock but did consider making myself a drink with the little abandoned tea set .
Right minded indeed Mr Patrick
Alfred, I laughed so loud at that I startled the neighbours! Took me right back. Best swarm story of the year, nice one.
 #11040  by NigelP
 31 May 2021, 14:46
Taking of swarms.....
Now out of snelgrove boards, this good weather has made many large colonies decide it is time....just as we have a nice flow on and supers filling nicely.
Best get on and make a few more.
 #11041  by JoJo36
 31 May 2021, 17:24
Funny you say that Nigel!
My 1st hive had one queen cup which I destroyed to give me time to think when I would do the snelgrove 2 adapted version and I didn't see any more. The bees were relatively calm so no problem there at the moment!

Hive 2 had a sealed swarm cell and a few others!!!!! They were really tetchy and stung me twice!! II sprang into action (looked clueless for quite a time) then got out a new brood box, put the swarmy looking one to the side and put a new brood box with a frame of brood (no queen cells)( taken from original box with queen) in and placed on floor so flying bees going in bottom (empty apart from frame of brood) and opening hatch on snelgrove board so nurse bees and queen have new entrance. I put the super back on original (top hive) and hope they destroy any cells??!! I did actually destroy a couple I saw inc sealed queen cells so hope I haven't ruined the process??!!

That was me for the day (leaving my farmers hive alone awaiting possibly a new queen if lucky)when I decided I had plenty of fuel so I'd check the nuc! Low and behold I have a mated queen as I spotted eggs!! I tried for ages to catch and mark her but just was too slow!! I put the frames in a full size brood (didn't have enough brood frames so put super frames at the ends and I have fed them.
I'm now having to buy another brood box "just in case" and make up more brood frames..............
 #11042  by NigelP
 31 May 2021, 18:33
They destroy them. It's uncanny how it seems to work, so far every time.
It also makes it easier to find the queen in top box. Currently I have isolated queens in cages in 2 Snelgrove's at another apiary so they don't lay any eggs. I've some new queens arriving next week so can make up 4 nucs' knowing there is zero chance of them raising any queen cells.
Bad news is 5 nucs made at different times to hopefully raise new queens have all failed...
 #11043  by JoJo36
 31 May 2021, 19:24
You sound well organised and hopefully the new queens will be successful!
I'm hoping to re-unite in around 10 days as my hives are in my garden!!!
I can't believe how much "stuff" I have managed to accumulate in a couple of years!
We've got all my bee stuff and my husbands huge telescope with god knows how many attachments and stuff, we will need to move to accommodate all of our rubbish when we should be downsizing:)
 #11044  by JoJo36
 01 Jun 2021, 06:02
One thing I did notice in both hives 1 and 2 was that there was loads of pollen stored in the super above brood and I wondered whether it was down to previous bad weather and lack of nectar or lack of brood to feed the pollen too as these hives both had frames of eggs pinched from them weeks ago and wondered whether that was a problem??!!