BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2904  by NigelP
 03 May 2019, 18:22
10C...tropical temps....
Will have to inspect several next week regardless of temps as swarm preps (eggs in queen cups were seen). Hopefully the drop in temp will put them off.
Harvested first few supers today....nice feeling.
 #2947  by Chrisbarlow
 07 May 2019, 17:00
Grafting and making up mating queen castles with queen cells.
 #2962  by Alfred
 08 May 2019, 21:10
Trimmed grass away from an empty hive.Wished it was occupied.
Played appropriate sad violin music.
Boiled a kettle, ate a revolting potnoodle
Went home.
 #2964  by Chrisbarlow
 08 May 2019, 21:45
Alfred wrote:
Went home.
hang in there Alfred, it`l happen for ya one day. :lol:
 #2966  by Chrisbarlow
 08 May 2019, 21:53
Chrisbarlow wrote:
08 May 2019, 21:45
Alfred wrote:
Went home.
hang in there Alfred, it`l happen for ya one day.
 #2967  by MickBBKA
 09 May 2019, 01:15
5C yesterday, 6C today with relentless rain, BBKA this month in the apiary...……..LMFAO.
I had colonies on 3 supers ready for capping 2 weeks ago, I probably need 80lbs of syrup to feed this weekend, double brood and 3 supers = lots of mouths needing food and 2 weeks sat indoors means empty bellys. I noticed my 1st colony showing signs of dysentry this week. Summer bees don't do well sat inside for 2 weeks, Nosema and CBPV will probably all start to show..........FFS...!
 #3009  by Chrisbarlow
 10 May 2019, 19:32
Had the SBI out today to look at some colonies that are being sold. they all got the all clear but whilst he was there I was checking some other boxes and I'd had one that had overwintered very strong indeed and was currently on three broods and a super. However when I checked it today there was barely a brood box full of bees and lots of dead bees on the floor. So he looked at that one as well. He believed the problem was chronic bee paralysis virus and pointed out bees that were shaking. It was only a week ago when last checked and everything appeared ok. It's been quick and brutal. Nothing else seems affected but I'll be doing a more thorough check this week. Interesting to see, if not a little frustrating.
 #3022  by MickBBKA
 11 May 2019, 00:37
Chrisbarlow wrote:
10 May 2019, 19:32
So he looked at that one as well. He believed the problem was chronic bee paralysis virus and pointed out bees that were shaking. It was only a week ago when last checked and everything appeared ok. It's been quick and brutal. Nothing else seems affected but I'll be doing a more thorough check this week. Interesting to see, if not a little frustrating.
I rest my case as stated in my earlier post. Bees did get a 2hour window today for cleansing flights before the temps tumbled again at luch time. Hopefully I can get around all my colonies tomorrow afternoon so I can get on and finish my Poly Tunnel on Sunday..
 #3024  by Chrisbarlow
 11 May 2019, 07:09
I don't believe anyone really knows what causes it Mick although congestion has I think been suggested as a possible cause. I would really like to see some research that does point towards a cause though.
 #3025  by Jim Norfolk
 11 May 2019, 08:35
Chris, that really was bad luck. I have had similar in the past and there seems little to be done. Advice I have had in the past has been mixed. Some say cull to stop it spreading others say leave them and they will recover. What advice did your SBI give?