BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #11976  by NigelP
 18 Sep 2021, 13:17
Thanks Alfred, sounds good. Won't work for me at the moment as my freezers are totally full of pollen frames and cut comb and SWMBO will not like them in the domestic ones.
 #11983  by JoJo36
 19 Sep 2021, 18:16
Or the 'oven cleaner' you can buy cheap that supplies a plastic bag to place oven shelves in them to melt all debris, maybe this would work with queen excluders??!! Hmmmm.............
 #11988  by MickBBKA
 20 Sep 2021, 01:37
Alfred wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 12:57
I wonder if a hot water pressure washer would do the job?
The Americans use it for the plastic foundation they seem to like. Not sure if it would remove propolis very well on a QEx. The pressure may though.
 #12014  by Steve 1972
 26 Sep 2021, 15:28
The five seven frame dummied down nationals have being going through fondant like it is going out of fashion over the past fortnight..the bees are also collecting lots of water from a feed station so I can only assume the fondant is being prosessed for brood rearing...these got a little sugar syrup a few weeks ago but I do not want to give them any more incase they clog any laying space up for the Queen..
The other five full colonies all got another 4L of sugar syrup each today over a Queen excluder..the inspection trays where checked and all but one colony have very few mites dropping 3wks into Apitraz treatment..everything seems to be on track for now. :roll:
 #12019  by AdamD
 27 Sep 2021, 12:00
Checked a few colonies at the weekend. Some were short of laying space as the honey has been coming in well on a daily basis. :D
One 6 frame nuc in the office car park (my out-out apiary) that was being robbed in August and described as "very weak 2 small frames of brood" was jam-packed with brood on 5 frames - but only sealed brood as there was no space for the queen to lay. I had one 8 frame box left which they are now in.
It's been a good September. And hardly any wasps this year. Looks like the weather is turning though.
 #12020  by Steve 1972
 27 Sep 2021, 17:55
Funny you say that about wasps Adam..around the back end of July and going into August the wasps where a nightmare..now the wasps will have stopped looking for protien and full on sweet feeding they seem to have calmed down compared to other years..this year I can top the syrup feeders up with little or no interest from wasps..I do have a wasp trap with a couple of thousand in it but that normally does not totaly stop them from being a pain in the rear end.
 #12021  by MickBBKA
 27 Sep 2021, 23:58
Been up to the moors today and put the clearer boards on. Amazed to see there was still a small amount of pollen coming in and small patches of heather still in flower, certainly not enough to be worth leaving them any longer as its late already. Colonies up there are rammed with bees although the supers are not that full of honey, smell great though.