BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Buzz bee wear

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2214  by Fishman
 04 Mar 2019, 12:32
Has anyone had experience of these of course JB Sherriff stuff is the way to go and I love my countryman but what is quality of the buzz bee wear stuff and does it stop the bees. Just asking anyone who has experience of this equipment.
 #2217  by Chrisbarlow
 04 Mar 2019, 17:33
I've got one as well as a sheriff.

They're ok but they're a 30 quid suit, the veil material isn't any where as good as the sheriff but if it lasts a season then I'll be happy. The sheriff is going into its fourth season . Although it's having some remedial stitching at the moment.
All this is reflected in the price.

I've had cheap suits similar to this before and they never last longer than a season.
 #2222  by AdamD
 05 Mar 2019, 14:03
I agree you get what you pay for - my BJ Sherriff suit has been abused for a few years and is going strong - However the elastic hand straps have long since failed and I have had to patch it where it's been burnt through on the leg from an over-excited smoker.
I wonder if knee pads are worth getting though?
 #2223  by Chrisbarlow
 05 Mar 2019, 14:48
This reminds me of a story,

I've been on the allotment for 25 years now and i bought a damn fine spade when i first arrived, it's as good now as it always has been. Its only had 5 new handles, 3 new sockets , 7 new shafts and the blade has been replaced 4 times.
 #2224  by Patrick
 05 Mar 2019, 17:55
Ha! Had a few cars like that!

Its easy to just say buy the best you can afford and I know I have sometimes been critical of cheaper stuff without making reference to context. If it’s going to get lighter use then maybe less is acceptable.

My main suit is my original BB wear, replaced veil then replaced hood entirely and also have other suits which rotate as necessary. The overall part is nearly 20 yrs old. But then at some times of year I may be wearing them for many hours a day. If I had to manage one or two hives for a couple of hours a week I could stretch the use of a cheaper model a lot longer maybe.

Part of the issue is how much scuffing in lifting and shifting and how often it will need washing. Mine gets a wash after every day’s beekeeping, partly to lose accumulated sting pheromone but mainly (sorry about this..) because it’s usually drenched through with sweat from shifting supers etc against perpetual time pressures.

I suspect lesser brands would struggle with withstanding that many wash cycles but if you didn’t need to wash them so often they wouldn’t have to. So you might have fewer colonies than me or just simply be a lot fitter! :D :D
 #2225  by NigelP
 05 Mar 2019, 18:37
Patrick wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 17:55
Mine gets a wash after every day’s beekeeping, partly to lose accumulated sting pheromone but mainly (sorry about this..) because it’s usually drenched through with sweat from shifting supers etc against perpetual time pressures.
Treat yourself to 3 layered OZarmour bee suit. They are ventilated, guaranteed no stings through the material.
It's like beekeeping in a string vest....I was doing in inspections in shorts, suit and very little else... (ooer missus).....I doubt I could have manged wearing a full suit during last years hot summer.
 #2227  by Patrick
 05 Mar 2019, 20:40
Just checked out the suit - looks intriguing with the mesh layers.

A nice cool day beekeeping then back home and use a sleeve to strain the sprouts. Top notch.
 #2312  by Chrisbarlow
 11 Mar 2019, 19:26
NigelP wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 18:37
Treat yourself to 3 layered OZarmour bee suit. They are ventilated, guaranteed no stings through the material.
It's like beekeeping in a string vest
A mate has one of the ozarmour ones and he is impressed with his.
 #2315  by NigelP
 12 Mar 2019, 09:13
They are good but watch the sizing , it's on the small size...so go bigger...baggy is good.
I also noticed that there is another company (name not recalled) who have started making a ventilated mesh suit. I saw some jackets at Throens the other week, but was on a credit card no spend ......
The ventilation has transformed my summer beekeeping....But they do seem to get grubby very quickly. Had to soak mine in oxyclean to get it anywhere near respectable.
 #2325  by Chrisbarlow
 12 Mar 2019, 21:36
NigelP wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 09:13
They are good but watch the sizing , it's on the small size...so go bigger...baggy is good.
I also noticed that there is another company (name not recalled) who have started making a ventilated mesh suit. I saw some jackets at Throens the other week, but was on a credit card no spend ......
The ventilation has transformed my summer beekeeping....But they do seem to get grubby very quickly. Had to soak mine in oxyclean to get it anywhere near respectable.
they do look good, I can see the appeal for hot weather beekeeping ,I might get one this year , depends on the weather