BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Pollen substitute

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #2033  by Sipa
 21 Feb 2019, 12:45
More accurate to call them Pollen supplements.
Candipoline is a very low protein fondant with about 2% pollen. This is going to have minimum impact on brood rearing or longevity of workers..

Of those available I'd say Ultrabee is the best of a not very good bunch. Unfortunately it's claim of having a fully balanced amino acid profile suitable for honeybees is false. You will notice in the declaration that Tryptophan is absent, this AA is important as it need to be at the correct level and balanced In the correct ratio to other AA's.
If Tryptophan is out of sync it limits protein availability to the honeybee.
 #2034  by Chrisbarlow
 21 Feb 2019, 15:13
Sipa wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 12:45
Of those available I'd say Ultrabee is the best of a not very good bunch. Unfortunately it's claim of having a fully balanced amino acid profile suitable for honeybees is false. You will notice in the declaration that Tryptophan is absent, this AA is important as it need to be at the correct level and balanced In the correct ratio to other AA's.
If Tryptophan is out of sync it limits protein availability to the honeybee.
thats sits well with what appeared on scientific beekeeping and Randy Olivers test on bee supliments. bee ultra came out on top but he remarked that it shouldnt be used for more than 2 brood cycles with out real pollen
 #2141  by AdamD
 27 Feb 2019, 05:49
Mick, I bow to your greater knowledge of your area!

Although I am not in (warm) Devon where some authors seem to live, I guess I tend to think of beekeeping in and around my part of the world; I do recall you 'observing' the difference between your NE weather and other parts of the country.

What's the difference between feeding colonies and not - as far as the general honey-producing capabilities of the hives? Is the cost of additional feeding worth it?
 #2156  by MickBBKA
 27 Feb 2019, 20:24
Hi Adam. I found the bees I fed pollen last year made roughly double the amount of honey. A large bag of Sub is not that expensive and you don't actually need a lot. I am feeding pollen sub to all my colonies this year, although this amazing weather has got them bringing massive amounts of their own. Most colonies have about 6 frames of brood. I don't usually see that until April if I am lucky.
 #2161  by AdamD
 28 Feb 2019, 12:26
Interesting - it WAS a good year for honey - certainly in my small corner of the world - and last year colonies were late starting for me with a lack of pollen for a while. It will be good to know how well your bees do this year - maybe they have the pollen they need this year and won't need or take down the supplement.
 #2198  by MickBBKA
 02 Mar 2019, 20:23
Well, on Thursday virtually all together at once the Blackthorn and prunis type trees and bushes burst into the most amazing display of flower, it looks like they are covered in snow.
Tonight we have 50mph and driving rain, just in time to destroy the flowers.
So pleased I put pollen sub on the colonies last weekend.
 #2219  by Chrisbarlow
 04 Mar 2019, 18:06
Blackthorn is now out down here in Leeds. I have not seen any prunus out yet. The willow is out and the bees are working it. I agree about the pollen subs. It will keep them ticking over which is great, the weather forecast for the next couple of weeks round me 8°c-9°c. the bees were flying today but I didnt notice if pollen was coming in as I was busy uprighting a colony
 #2221  by AdamD
 05 Mar 2019, 13:59
I hope the tipped up colony turns out to be OK.
Early prunus here, no blackthorn yet
 #2226  by MickBBKA
 05 Mar 2019, 20:20
8C - 9C here also for the next 2 weeks, all the blackthorn and prunis will be finished by then.

More pollen sub to make :roll:

Cheers, Mick.
 #2228  by Chrisbarlow
 05 Mar 2019, 22:50
fingers crossed it turns out ok. I think it should do unless the queen got injured but I hope not.

I agree Mick, more pollen subs this next couple of weeks to keep her majesties on full throttle.

I have also seen out my first dandelions as well this last week, but sadly not many.