BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• After AH/V.v has established it self.

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #836  by nealh
 27 Sep 2018, 23:01
So an open question of many factors of what happens once AH establishes it self.
If and when, the latter is the scenario I think we will all be looking at.

A lot of if's & but's !!!

How far north it spreads is another question, will damp / cold inhibit it's progress and matng possibilities ?

NBU I asusme will be ham strung by man power and funding, so it will be what ever beeks can do to minimise collateral damage ?

AHAT's is a word being bounded around .

Apiary colony defence will be what ever the beekeeper invents/comes up with or even buys.
Bottle kill traps will be many's answer, the electronic harp I have heard of.
Hive barriers to thwart hawking.
Capture and release with toxic sweet substance as being used in Portugal, to use hornets for their own nest demise.
Hive full width entrance cages to prevent AH raidng/entering hives but allowing bees to come and go.
Extra feeding to prevent colony starvation/callapse.
 #838  by Chrisbarlow
 28 Sep 2018, 08:12
watching the Richard Noel videos on youtube he suggested that queen trapping early in the year is very effective at minising nests later in the year. Although I like the sound of the Portugal approach with sending poison back to a nest.

From what I understand the asian hornet that is in Europe originates from Northern China. temps there can reach -20°c. I suspect AH colonises the whole of the UK quickly is quite probably considering how densely we populate this small Island of ours.
 #840  by nealh
 28 Sep 2018, 10:01
Early bait traps to try and capture foundress queens is a must for all to adopt.
At -20c looks like no one will be immune from nests.
 #841  by NigelP
 28 Sep 2018, 10:12
Problem with early bait traps is they are not discriminate. They will capture our native hornet queens as well as any intruders. There are some non lethal traps but they would need checking on a daily basis.
 #844  by nealh
 28 Sep 2018, 11:09
I agree Nigel early sweet bait traps need to be the monitoring type and not drowning type with daily regular visits to release non targeted species.
My current traps whether liquid or meat one have a 4 x 6 - 7 mm holes in them about 50mm above the mesh to allow smaller insects out inc wasps, other wise I do check them daly a few times for larger inscts like hornets or moths.
 #847  by madasafish
 28 Sep 2018, 20:31
I suggest anyone proposing the use of traps which require daily inspection is living in an alternate reality. For most people in employment it is impractical especially with apairies away from home.

AND suggesting widespread use of dangerous poisons- targetted or not - ignores the reality that some people are just plain stooopid.. see accidents each year around Nov 5th when people throw petrol on fires to get them going. Some fool will use posions blindly and kill their own and others' bees .

What is need for traps is a simple self selecting trap ie with an entrance which will allow asian hornets to enetr, reject European hornets, and allow smaller insects to leave. Not difficult to design, test and mass produce.
 #849  by NigelP
 28 Sep 2018, 21:43
madasafish wrote:
What is need for traps is a simple self selecting trap ie with an entrance which will allow asian hornets to enetr, reject European hornets, and allow smaller insects to leave. Not difficult to design, test and mass produce.
Well off you go; get to work on it and you can make a killing....that's a financial killing not a
V. craba one.
 #859  by DianeBees
 29 Sep 2018, 10:19
madasafish wrote:
I suggest anyone proposing the use of traps which require daily inspection is living in an alternate reality. For most people in employment it is impractical especially with apairies away from home.

Does a monitoring trap have to be in an apiary?

I've been playing with a design that is easier to make and won't drown insects. It'd still need checking fairly regularly though.

The traps that select purely on size would be brilliant. The little cones someone's used on the trap in France select by size. Does anyone know what size cones would be needed?
 #860  by Chrisbarlow
 29 Sep 2018, 14:06
I dont think a trap has to be in an apiary but being in an apiary is already some where that has a bountiful supply of food for AH, so they are more likely I suspect to attend there.