BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Supercedure cell

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13915  by Dolly
 17 Jul 2023, 17:02
Hi
I recently bought a 5 frame nuc and all seemed well initially after I hived them up,however it's now a few weeks ago now and my queen appears to have gone off lay.
There is one supercedure cell.
Not sure what to do ,she is a young queen so am surprised ,should I just let them get on with it :roll:
 #13916  by NigelP
 17 Jul 2023, 17:45
First of all complain to seller if she has stopped laying.
Make sure she really has stopped laying and if so leave them to get on with things....but definitely complain to seller....If you bought a nuc the least you can expect is decent queen.
 #13917  by Cable_Fairy
 17 Jul 2023, 22:10
This happened to my first NUC and I complained, I got a second NUC for nothing. Definitely leave the supersedure and hope!
 #13919  by AdamD
 18 Jul 2023, 13:13
Sometimes a supercedure cell is thrown up and if removed, the bees keep their queen that goes on to be a good one. However if your queen is going off the boil, I would certainly leave the supercedure cell and not remove the old queen as if you do, the bees will make emergency queencells which you don't want. Supercedure cells have been well-fed and can produce cracking queens.
 #13923  by MickBBKA
 19 Jul 2023, 19:28
Dolly wrote:
17 Jul 2023, 17:02
Hi
I recently bought a 5 frame nuc and all seemed well initially after I hived them up,however it's now a few weeks ago now and my queen appears to have gone off lay.
There is one supercedure cell.
Not sure what to do ,she is a young queen so am surprised ,should I just let them get on with it :roll:
Do they have nectar coming in ? Several of my queens are on a brood break now because there is no forage. If they only have sealed honey they often have a break, a weak syrup feed can switch them back on but depending where you are you may have to keep feeding.