BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Nail gun recommendations

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13387  by Yorkbees84
 16 Feb 2023, 15:30
Hi All,

Does anyone have recommendations for affordable nail guns to assist with frame building? I know there are previous posts on this topic from years back but wanted a more up-to-date response, if possible.

Many thanks
 #13388  by Ian
 16 Feb 2023, 17:41
Unfortunately you get what you pay for and much depends on how much use it will get….At the cheaper end but something that may actually last a few hive keeper I’d look at tacwise around the hundred £ mark. They do a stapler/nail gun and also just a nailer. At the top end you have
https://www.ukplanettools.co.uk/makita-dfn350zj-18v-18v-brad-nailer-with-type-2-case-dfn350zj.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhvOIhcia_QIV0t_tCh3mHAxBEAQYAiABEgJGJvD_BwE
All I would say is keep your receipt and buy from a reputable local supplier, I’ve literally had dozens of cheaper guns and whilst identical models last varying times they just can’t cope with prolonged use or volume. Screwfix do a very cheap titan but the head is so large it obscures the target, the tacwise is good at least for that.
The Makita is fantastic but clearly much more expensive and not including decent batteries at £100 a pop. But as far as I’m concerned worth every penny.
 #13395  by Alfred
 17 Feb 2023, 19:57
I was tempted by the Parkside ones in lidl.
Big mistake
I could spit the ammo in harder.
I've gone back to gimp pins and toffee hammer.....
 #13407  by Steve 1972
 19 Feb 2023, 14:43
I bought one of these from screwfix to fit a staircarpet and it fired the staples in easily so I am sure the nail will go in even better...my only gripe with it was it jammed a few times but on a good note it's easily unblocked .

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb517stp-32mm-second-fix-electric-nail-gun-stapler-240v/71120?kpid=71120&ds_kid=92700048793290430&&&&&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=Cj0KCQiArsefBhCbARIsAP98hXTpkPkLfyFH-UZnQJcSKejGVC8sNxRcixX5QhAO2gXooPtWJX92QiYaAtt2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
 #13413  by Ian
 20 Feb 2023, 12:34
With specific reference to the titan I’ve had a couple, as mentioned they can lack some power! However with frames the biggest issue is the large head that obscures the point at which the nail is intended. With some use you can make a good guess but you’ll often clip the edge of the wood.
 #13417  by AdamD
 22 Feb 2023, 15:13
I am still using nails - 1.4 mm diameter sheradized nails for the most part as they were available from a local hardware store, however for hoffman frames I use 1.6 mm x 30mm long sheradized nails which are long enough that the nail goes through the side bar and the top bar and partially through the other side of the side bar, so it's one nail for each side. It's usually tap tap tap bang and the nail is in, which doesn't take too long. (Claw hammer, not toffee ! :lol: ).
I may be a clumsy oaf - but find that gimp pins snap if hit them wrong. The sheradized ones bend.
 #13419  by Alfred
 22 Feb 2023, 17:47
Ive tried a few types but maisemore sells Challenge branded ones that are pretty reliable.
I'm the most cackhanded chimp in the universe but I only bend one now and again
I find them useful for other stuff too so I end up buying more and more.
The latest use was tacking the leather back on the smoker bellows.
It's a 4oz cross pein pin hammer btw -but compared to my 5kg sledge it just looks like a toffee hammer ;)