BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• BBKA Mag

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13186  by MickBBKA
 05 Oct 2022, 11:28
October in the apiary.

I for one get completely fed up reading constant rubbish from so called master beekeepers in this 'national' magazine.
Feed : ' If you have not fed enough it is definitley too late to give liquid feed; the bees will not take it'.
STOP PRINTING THIS RUBBISH ! For crying out loud. :roll: :roll: :!:
 #13187  by NigelP
 05 Oct 2022, 12:37
Funny that.......just been and fed the garden hives with syrup which they where queuing up to take down.
 #13189  by AdamD
 05 Oct 2022, 14:18
It might be something to do with the editing - I have written a couple of articles for the BBKA magazine and I was not shown the final article before publication. (The author took me for my General Husbandry exam a while ago and I would be surprised if that were his view).

I fed an Abelo mini plus nuc for most of last winter with syrup to see whqt would happen. (A queen I was not particularly bothered about keeping). The bees were fine. So was the queen.
 #13190  by Alfred
 06 Oct 2022, 08:48
We must have defective bees chaps
Mine are chugging it down too.
Take out the ads,the editorials and the doctrinated content and there's not much left.
 #13191  by MickBBKA
 06 Oct 2022, 14:16
I am a very trusting person and when I started beekeeping I took these sort of articles at face value, never realising how often they can be very misleading. I do think they can lead newbies and less experienced people into making mistakes, I know I did. However I have since learned to be very sceptical and trust my own instincts.
 #13192  by Cable_Fairy
 06 Oct 2022, 15:05
Two of my hives are taking a litre every other two days.
 #13193  by Alfred
 06 Oct 2022, 19:45
Ditto that Mick absolutely.
With a paper publication,website or blog there's no challenge to it either so the newbie will be blissfully unaware.
Not quite matchstick-gate but I think Jezza would have got a sound thrashing on an open forum for that one.
 #13196  by MickBBKA
 07 Oct 2022, 22:46
Alfred wrote:
06 Oct 2022, 19:45
Ditto that Mick absolutely.
With a paper publication,website or blog there's no challenge to it either so the newbie will be blissfully unaware.
Not quite matchstick-gate but I think Jezza would have got a sound thrashing on an open forum for that one.
I usually get booted from websites and blogs because I offer different opinions from the acceptable mantra that the dyed in the wool brigade are willing to accept. TBH, this forum is the longest I have lasted ever on any beekeeping forum without getting kicked because I said something like ' Buckfast are pure bred mongrels'.............................Go Nigel... ;) :D
 #13197  by Alfred
 08 Oct 2022, 12:47
You're a heretic to their religion Mick and they don't like it.
Burning at the stake is the final solution.
The reasons for my membership are getting thin on the ground -not sure the insurance is worth it I don't need swarm calls,exam medals,meetings,tea parties,or lecturing with opinion.
They're not the most proactive organisation I've encountered so I can't think what's actually left for the money
 #13198  by JoJo36
 08 Oct 2022, 13:42
Ha ha this is getting interesting!’ :lol:
Surely the whole point of this forum is to share views, opinions and knowledge where anyone can take it or leave it!
Nigel, you’re doing well so far as you’ve not been kicked off platform, nor should you!! ;)
Alfred, you’re starting to sound edgy??!! Keep it together now!! :D