BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Winter survival survey ambiguity

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13146  by Beeblebrox
 17 Sep 2022, 16:29
The annual winter survival survey was (finally) "published" here:

https://www.bbka.org.uk/news/84-of-beekeepers-who-replied-to-survey-had-no-winter-losses

Unfortunately the results are gibberish if you read them literally, saying "84% of beekeepers reported no losses". Previously, the annual results have been stated as the percentage of colonies lost over winter.

I've queried this with the BBKA twice and got no answer. It's as if they don't understand that

(a) They've changed the way the results are presented, which makes year-on-year comparisons semi useless;
(b) They don't understand the difference between the number of beekeepers and number of colonies

Most likely, it's just poor wording, but it makes me wary of trusting this result. Can anyone involved in the survey definitively clarify what the total percentage of colonies lost across the UK was last winter?

Thanks
 #13147  by NigelP
 17 Sep 2022, 17:28
Agree, it's difficult to know which figures they are referencing in that graph. More worrying for me is 1/3 of beekeepers not treating for varroa.
Anyone keeping animals has a duty of care towards them. Not treating for a parasite that seriously debilities their bees should be classified as an offence. Bet they don't t allow their cats or dogs to suffer from round worms/tapeworms/fleas etc.
 #13148  by AdamD
 17 Sep 2022, 18:42
Nigel, the question was asking the number of beekeepers treating from 1st October to Spring. We don't know how many beekeepers treated for varroa at the end of the season. Out of the 67 percent of beekeepers who treated in winter, 'Oxalic acid used by 18% of beekeepers and vast majority used vaporisation to apply it. Apiguard used by 13% and Apibioxal by 19%'. What other treatments were used? And was this 18% of the 67%?

I did write into the BBKA magazine 2 or 3 years ago and asked whether the question could be asked about how beekeepers overwinter their colonies - i.e. whether poly, insulated wood or wood with a ventillated roof. This would be a great way of advising beekeepers how best to overwinter colonies after a mass study.
Would isolation starvation be less, for example, with an insulated hive? A questionairre was sent out which from memory was a little confused. The results were never presented. I have no idea why not.
 #13152  by Alfred
 18 Sep 2022, 17:22
Any data can be skewed unintentionally or otherwise.
There are too many variables for anything other than a really incisive questionnaire to be completed and anaylised by humans.
For example someone in Shetland using cedar with no insulation could report severe loss while someone putting thermal wraps around poly in their Jersey apiary might not.How did varroa and feeding affect that result.
It proves nothing even if they complete the form accurately and honestly.
Bees are not buildings or machinery.
I wonder if this project is really just in response to criticism of the organisation's inert existence.
 #13153  by MickBBKA
 18 Sep 2022, 17:23
Spike wrote:Apiguard in winter?
Why not ?
I use solid floors, no vents and 50mm kingspan under roofs. When I put a temperature probe on top of the frames where the Apiguard goes its never below 25c and as long as the bees are moving it gets used up. :)
Winters are very mild here in Teesside, its Spring thats cold. ;)
 #13157  by AdamD
 20 Sep 2022, 14:03
I think that I've read stuff about using it in winter but it takes longer?
As you point out Mick, if bees are in a hive and brooding, then the temperature is going to be at a fair temperature.
 #13158  by NigelP
 20 Sep 2022, 17:21
AdamD wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 18:42
Nigel, the question was asking the number of beekeepers treating from 1st October to Spring. We don't know how many beekeepers treated for varroa at the end of the season. O
Would have probably made more sense to ask whether you treated for varroa or not.
Not whether you treated over a specific period.