BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• stings

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #12954  by Alfred
 21 Jul 2022, 14:15
Having hosted only three last year I'm averaging that many per week just lately.
A few really good deep ones and directly to blood vessels too.
But it appears an immunity is developing as I don't get the long lasting reactions anymore 24 hrs and they're all gone
Previously there would be bruising as well as the swelling itching heat etc.
I'm not sure it's a good thing or bad.
 #12955  by NigelP
 21 Jul 2022, 16:12
I think it's a good thing Alfred. I used swell etc but now the most painful aspect is the sting itself, and occasional reaction at site lasting less than an hour.
 #12956  by MickBBKA
 22 Jul 2022, 01:09
I used to get quite bad reactions on my fingers and it was a problem as I was a mechanic. So I decided to stop using gloves. That may sound counterintuitive but it made me more careful and more sensitive to bees on my fingers and massively reduced the number of times I got stung. Over time the reactions reduced to just a local burn rather than the big swollen finger joints. Being very selective about colony traits has made a big difference also. I have only been stung twice this year from my bees and it was because they got caught in clothing both times.
It is also worth considering that anaphylactic reactions can occur at anytime in a beekeepers so even if you have a reduced reaction that can change at any point in the future. I keep what 3 words app on my mobile as I am usually alone and in remote places just in case. ;)
 #12959  by JoJo36
 22 Jul 2022, 07:18
I find that if I use 'after bite' which smells like bleach quickly after being stung, it works really well! It stops the itching and reduces the swelling I find! I also take a swig of piriton syrup or its equivalent and it seems to quell the symptoms!
I always wear cotton gloves underneath the nitrile ones as the nitrile without anything makes my hands itch badly!!
I don't fancy glove free as if I get stung and then sweaty they will have a great time being attracted to my hand??!! :)
 #12961  by Alfred
 22 Jul 2022, 07:45
My last one was through an industrial marigold so I don't think I got the entire dose.
I've got zero signal at my apiary so I think I'll just become fodder for the foxes and wildboar.
I can never remember if it's acid or alkaline for bees or wasp stings.
I have a trigger spray with white vinegar and that seems to sooth it but I think it's just a placebo.
I once listened to a wasp expert who said either sting is so close to PH neutral that it doesn't matter -you just need something strong enough to disrupt the venom.
 #12962  by JoJo36
 22 Jul 2022, 18:40
Bee stings are acidic and wasp stings alkaline.
Amonia, hydrogen peroxide and or bicarbonate of soda for bee stings!
Vinegar for wasp stings!

You'll have to stop using your peroxide for your blonde hair colour Alfred & use for bee stings!! :)
 #12968  by Alfred
 24 Jul 2022, 09:20
Threw it away after the damn bees made me pull all my hair out :(