BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Varroa count

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #475  by Newbee
 01 Sep 2018, 14:56
Hi all,

Just looking for tips on counting varroa, and frequency for checking the varroa count. I have seen that you can buy paper with grids marked on to insert on inspection boards to aid counting, although I’m not sure exactly how this helps? Also, although I think it’s best practice to check count daily, the location of my apiary and work commitments means that I can only check weekly. Any and all tips and advice very welcome!

All the best,
Newbee
 #477  by Jim Norfolk
 01 Sep 2018, 18:48
I draw parallel lines on my boards about 2 inches apart using a permanent marker. It is then quick and easy to scan with a magnifying glass along the lines going back and forth. As you suggest it is best to count daily for two reasons. The board will fill up with debris so Varroa are harder to spot. Secondly there is at least the possibility that some mites will be lost from the board. Having said that if you can only count weekly then thats what it has to be.
 #481  by nealh
 01 Sep 2018, 23:44
Same as Jim, permanent marker on board and divide 10 x 10 so 100 squares.
I wait till they resurface roads locally and then help my self to Correx signs left after two or three weeks.

Did my first round of vaping on Tuesday and no significant mite drops yet.
 #498  by jeffas
 03 Sep 2018, 13:36
I know that the significance of the mite drop is based on the number per day, but I've never seen any recommendation that you actually have to count every day; an average should be fine. I just checked mine after 13 days. I counted by eye plus magnifying glass (yes, a grid is a good idea), and then checked by scraping all the debris into a small jar and adding meths; the mites float. I'd missed only 2 or 3 on each hive, which is not a bad error rate on 13 days'-worth. (I'm in my 3rd year of beekeeping, so happy to be corrected by someone more experienced.)
Last edited by jeffas on 17 Sep 2019, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
 #500  by nealh
 03 Sep 2018, 23:20
I don't get hung up on checking mite fall usually, however having some hives in the garden I can check daily or every other day during treatment and gives me an indication of infestation and what I may find at out apiary's on weekly visit within 1 mile.

So far 5 days since my first vape treatment mite fall is very, very low thus far from 3 colonies.
Vape 2 tomorrow.
 #523  by Nigel Pringle
 06 Sep 2018, 20:43
Drop counts are notoriously inaccurate. Far better to do a sugar or alcohol (kills bees) roll.
But if you have a high-level infestation they do warn you.
The biggest mistake most people make is not making the board sticky....an active varroa will be off and gone long before it's counted.
Vaseline./cooking oil/lard are all good things to smear the board with.