British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Which polyhive

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #12429  by NigelP
 05 Feb 2022, 14:34
Alfred wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 06:21
So unless there's a supply of old stock, Abelos are not fully compatible?
They manufacture and sell both types and have no intention of phasing out the "older" model with deeper roof.
The newer models have a reduced footprint and are popular with keepers who practise migratory beekeeping as they can get more hives on their truck.wagon etc Also the "newer" crown boards have a singe vent hole plus a recess designed to hold a 2.5 litre Ashforth type feeder that they sell. I buy newer crown-boards + feeders but buy the deeper roofs so no compatibility issues with nay of my hives....I still have a few wooden Nationals that get brought out as required.
If I get some time I'll pictures and show you the differences.
 #12431  by NigelP
 06 Feb 2022, 14:02
Here you go. This is the newer lesser profile Abelo hive with the roof that fits on top of the crown board, also the landing board is very reduced compared to the older version.
. And here is the crown board with the Ashford type feeder in place.
And finally here are some hives that have the newer type of crownboard and the older deep roof.

#12432  by MickBBKA
 07 Feb 2022, 02:52
Feeder looks sort of ok but I think the crown board is a mistake by making it impossible to use any other type of feeder. What's the point of the Recess ? Its not like the feeder is going to slide off. 2.5 Litres is also too small IMHO. All my feeders of that style are 1 or 2 gallon, it saves going back every other day to feed and if its just stimulative feeding then I can just put a couple of ltr in. Fair play to Abelo though, they are doing their market research in the real world at real time and trying to bring hives into the 21st century.
 #12433  by NigelP
 07 Feb 2022, 08:20
With 10 litre Ashford feeders at £40 a pop I'm quite happy using these in the garden hives. You can also use the round rapid feeders as hole underneath which you can't see.
 #12434  by Patrick
 07 Feb 2022, 11:49
Do they take the larger square English feeders then? Those are about 6 litres.

I am envious of one or two hive beekeepers as it makes it much more feasible to switch to other kit. When you have stacks of capital investment linked to particular hive types I find myself more reluctant to go down another experimental route.
 #12436  by AdamD
 07 Feb 2022, 12:37
Thanks for the pics and explanation Nigel.

Hats off to Abelo for re-designing their products to improve them.
(A small landing board is all that's needed and as a comparison the Paynes one is huge).
The Apiarist has comments on the Swienty poly boxes here

https://www.theapiarist.org/swienty-poly-hives/
 #12437  by NigelP
 07 Feb 2022, 12:56
Patrick wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 11:49
Do they take the larger square English feeders then? Those are about 6 litres.
If you mean like the one below, then the answer is yes. They simply sit on top of the lip that the dedicated feeders sit in.

The ones I use on most hives at out apiaries are the large Asforth type ones. You need to remove the crown board and sit the feeder on top of the bees brood box. But as they have now shot up to £42 a pop.....I'll settle for refilling the feeders on the garden hives more frequently.

#12439  by Patrick
 07 Feb 2022, 13:30
Thanks Nigel. I do like the square English feeders. Thy are a useful size and you can usually find them for a tenner, leakproof, easy to clean can be used to clean capping etc.

Only downside if left in the sun the plastic discolours and eventually goes brittle and can crack if handled roughly.