BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Self promotion........

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #12153  by NigelP
 30 Oct 2021, 20:52
Not sure how BBKA can endorse publication of an article in their recent rag where an author uses his space to promote his own up coming book(s). Needless to say they are published by that unbiased organisation BIBBA.
Will beekeeping ever move forward?
Or are we destined to follow the usual trend of repeating and republishing ancient dogma ad infinitum?
 #12154  by Alfred
 31 Oct 2021, 08:13
Riddled to the core with it
At a more local level one of the few affiliate gatherings I ever went to featured mrs jolly hockey sticks doing a demo whilst quoting verbatim from The Apiarist -at least the plagiarism was from a worthy source.
They seem wrapped up in their little world of meetings AGMs and exams ,with the rag reporting impending doom from the outside whilst apparently no plan to tackle it.

Just lamely providing links to online petition forms doesnt qualify at all

I have a few classic cars and motorbikes and you'd think by now theyd be banned from the roads-quite the opposite with the majority even being exempted from tax and Mot test.

This has only arisen through political lobby ( and many of the House of Lords having vintage car collections of course)which we are bad at -the OA debacle being a shining example- too busy with our precious modules ,tea and biscuits.

Anyway Im now off to blitz some mites in the rain- in my own little world....
 #12155  by MickBBKA
 31 Oct 2021, 11:21
Blatent advertising. I wonder how much the author paid for this full page advert and if not why not ??
These books will be nothing more than the authors own view on how to keep bees.
If the BBKA want to be serious about promoting a book on beekeeping then they should produce a book which is a collaboration of beekeepers from around the whole country, of different ages, differing styles and differing objectives. Not one persons myopic view.
Now off to do some Northern beekeeping in 30mph wind and torrential rain.
 #12164  by AdamD
 01 Nov 2021, 09:24
In defence of the editor of the magazine, I am aware that it is always difficult to find articles to put between the front and back cover, so a page is a page...
Perhaps an unbiased book review would have been better?
If anyone wants to write an article, (I've done a couple plus the odd letter) I am sure that the editor would look upon it kindly. Although classic cars might be a stretch too far!

One letter of mine was to ask "why do we not expand the annual winter loss survey to ask about hive types to determine once and for all whether bees overwinter better in insulated or poly boxes compared to wooden ones with matchsticks. A mass survey of beekeepers is a great way to get stastically relevant results - there could be other subjects where it might make sense to do this. To be fair, as a result of my question, the questionaires went out a couple of years ago. Sadly the analysis of the result : None. Zippo. So we are none the wiser despite the information being gathered and being 'somewhere'.
 #12169  by Alfred
 01 Nov 2021, 16:05
My beef isnt with the magazine as such and advertising goes a long way towards the printing and distribution of a physical publication(even if it was even mocked on BBC's HIGNFY ) :oops:
The alternative would be Digital or nothing at all.
And I'd miss letters from the poster girls on the first few pages....
My issue is with the apparent inert state of the leadership of the organisation.
Its like theyre all sat with their straw boaters on having cream teas at the vicarage during a zombie apocalypse.
In balance however there are a few in the ' lower to middle management' levels that seem a little more proactive but their efforts fall on deaf ears as we ourselves are content to carry on in our own private microcosms.
 #12170  by JoJo36
 01 Nov 2021, 17:40
Alfred

I'm just starting to picture it now!

More tea vicar??!! ha ha :)
 #12173  by NigelP
 01 Nov 2021, 18:14
Whomever is chairman/woman of the BBKA seems to get awarded an MBE at some point in their tenure.
It'll be earl grey for tea....
 #12174  by Alfred
 01 Nov 2021, 22:14
"Frightful noise outside Vicar- what the Dickens is going on?"
" Im quite sure I dont know ,Mr Mainwaring-another scone?"
 #12243  by NigelP
 02 Dec 2021, 11:16
Available on Amazon.
Knowing Rogers very opinionated views on beekeeping I doubt either will give a balanced picture of beekeeping. However, his punched cell method for queen rearing and other factual methodology is worth knowing. I suspect they will both be dominated by the BIBBA creed of black/local bees are best......
Buy a copy and let us know what you think :)