BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Cut out options and advice..

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #11768  by Steve 1972
 20 Aug 2021, 18:30
I have been and took the scaffold away today..the bees have been killed and the hole plugged up with wire wool..
 #11771  by JoJo36
 20 Aug 2021, 19:18
Steve

There are not many folks that would go to the trouble of doing what you did for free!!!
I hope they were at least grateful you tried??!!
At least you know that you did all you could and you can now concentrate on your own bees!! :)
 #11772  by Steve 1972
 20 Aug 2021, 19:33
If my 2021 Queen is still alive in my trap out colony..i will be happy..never ever will i do it again no matter what.
 #11775  by NigelP
 21 Aug 2021, 08:42
Well done for trying but usual result. I have a zero tolerance to any bees inside cavities and give them numbers of pest control people to deal with it. Even then I've had grief from people who expect me to come out for free and sort their problems out.
 #11780  by AdamD
 22 Aug 2021, 10:51
Well done for trying Steve!
I have also learned that there are times when you just have to say no.

I've also had people wanting me to remove bees/bumblebees/whatever because the council won't do it (any more) and the caller didn't want to pay for someone to remove the insects. So pest removal for free! To be fair, most people are either worried about them or want to 'help the bees.'
 #11792  by Steve 1972
 22 Aug 2021, 21:45
Regardless of my wasted time and effort i managed to to go through the trap out hive today while putting it into a Abelo Poly brood box..much to my surprise the swarmed Queen from the shed roof that i clipped and marked is still alive and well..the box is full of bees and look like they will go into winter well prepared..
A positive from a negative but all looks good..