BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Should I split my hive with supers?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #11105  by RDGBEES
 08 Jun 2021, 13:18
Hi,

I'm a beginner and collected my nuc back In April. Since then they have been doing great despite the poor weather.

A couple of weeks ago i added my first super. When I inspected last Thursday the super frames had almost been completely drawn and they have started to fill with nectar. A second super was added.

However I also found a charged queen cell. I read that you should knock down and check again on your next inspection. I'm fully expecting to find more queen cells this week and so a split will be required.

So my question is if I perform a split should I leave the supers on? If so then I'm guessing they will be on the hive on the original site where the foraging bees are returning to?

Thanks
 #11108  by Patrick
 08 Jun 2021, 15:52
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Yes I would put the supers over a QX with the foragers, whether in a horizontal or vertical split.

But if there is a strong flow on and the other part has a lot of hatching bees, don’t be afraid to give them a super as well if they are bringing in a lot of nectar.
 #11110  by RDGBEES
 08 Jun 2021, 18:22
Hi Patrick,

That's great thank.
Patrick wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 15:52
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Yes I would put the supers over a QX with the foragers, whether in a horizontal or vertical split.

But if there is a strong flow on and the other part has a lot of hatching bees, don’t be afraid to give them a super as well if they are bringing in a lot of nectar.