BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• A formula for Excel - Queen Marking

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #11047  by Sipa
 01 Jun 2021, 13:39
For a bit of fun if anyone is into Excel and Bees then the following might be of interest.

Place the following formula in any cell, it will display the correct year marking colour for the current year. It could of course be adapted to show years past or forward. It will automatically update on the change of year.

=IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="1","Mark Queens White",IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="6","Mark Queens White",IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="2","Mark Queens Yellow",IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="7","Mark Queens Yellow",IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="3","Mark Queens Red",IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="8","Mark Queens Red",IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="4","Mark Queens Green",IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="9","Mark Queens Green",IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="5","Mark Queens Blue",IF(RIGHT(YEAR(TODAY()),1)="0","Mark Queens Blue",""))))))))))

Have fun
Sipa
 #11053  by AdamD
 02 Jun 2021, 10:25
Thanks. A number of my queens are already white as that's the pen I had with me last year and my blue doesn't show up too well. I have been re-marking them a barbie pink this year as I see them when the colour has worn off and pink is quite visible.
I usually have mated queens available by this time of year however I have only recently started grafting - first few are due to emerge in 2-3 days time.
 #11061  by Caroline
 02 Jun 2021, 18:51
Unless selling queens, go for whichever colour you find easiest to see and rely on notes to tell you the year.

I'm currently using blue, which I find ok, but many say they find it harder to see, and white seems to be the favourite.