BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Old wives tales/Bee folk lore

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #11241  by AdamD
 17 Jun 2021, 11:37
It can set of robbing in that foragers go out to look for food but don't know where it is. If they come across a weak colony that can't defend itself, the foragers can gain entry and then tell their sisters. It's not too common, but best avioded.
 #11244  by Bobbysbees
 17 Jun 2021, 12:39
Well it certainly seems to work anyway.
So not a bad tip, even if the thinking behind it isn't entirely correct.
Iv only once seen actual robbing and it was very late last season. And its easy to spot by the carnage and fighting at the entrance.
 #11245  by NigelP
 17 Jun 2021, 13:00
AdamD wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 11:37
It can set of robbing in that foragers go out to look for food but don't know where it is. If they come across a weak colony that can't defend itself, the foragers can gain entry and then tell their sisters. It's not too common, but best avioded.
Yes, hadn't thought of that Adam, , particularly come Autumn when forage is scarce. But they can't tell their sisters where it is as no directionality in close range nectar dances
 #11246  by Patrick
 17 Jun 2021, 13:25
Most of my issues have arisen when a flow has stopped, there are loads of unemployed foragers and I have just taken off supers. The arrival back on site of a load of extracted supers for either refilling or drying may cause plenty of excitement.

It's when they find unguarded access in the form of gaps or badly lined up boxes it can lead to mayhem and piles of dead bees. This can still happen to stacks of wet supers off hives, so making sure the new boxes are properly beetight and doing so quietly in the evening seems a fair idea.
 #11394  by NigelP
 05 Jul 2021, 19:08
Just thought of another one....if bees are bringing in pollen all is well..
Load of cobblers.
A couple of my queenless/waiting for queen to mate hives have literally filled their brood boxes with pollen and honey as no body is using it. Fine by me as I'll remove and freeze and give back as pure pollen next February when they are desperate for the the real stuff..
 #11405  by Bobbysbees
 07 Jul 2021, 14:24
That sounds like a very good plan Mike. I had that with the first split I tried as the queen never got mated but they were packing the nuc to bursting with pollen.
With the price of pollen sub now I don't have any plans to be making up patties for spring next year thats for sure
 #11406  by Patrick
 08 Jul 2021, 11:06
Bobbysbees wrote: With the price of pollen sub now I don't have any plans to be making up patties for spring next year thats for sure
A 50lb sack has gone up again. It's increased nearly 75% on 2019 catalogue. Astonishing. Anybody know why?

I have some powder to finish off, then that's the end of my experiments in that direction I suspect..
 #11407  by Alfred
 08 Jul 2021, 11:30
Patrick have you been on a 2 yr space mission?
The answer is simple old chap.
You put the price up on anything you like and theres a catalogue of excuses at your disposal
The pandemic ,the Suez blockage,worldwide shortage,brexit,wrong kind of snow...

Seriously I do think there is something going wrong
I got turned away from two timber merchants yesterday despite a worthwhile order list.
Almost their entire stock is immediately pre- allocated on arrival.
And the overall prices have tripled in the last 12 months
I somehow doubt .a gratuitous jar of honey across the counter would change that anytime soon
 #11408  by Caroline
 08 Jul 2021, 16:17
Alfred wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 11:30
I got turned away from two timber merchants yesterday despite a worthwhile order list.
Almost their entire stock is immediately pre- allocated on arrival.
Timber, cement, and other 'building supplies' are experiencing shortages due to a lack of HGV drivers. There just aren't the lorries available to deliver goods to the merchants. Many logistic firms have lorries sitting idle due to lack of drivers. Some merchants are rationing supplies to buyers and not allowing pre-orders, which is fairer than a 'first come first serve' basis allowing a few to 'take everything' available. I know people 'in the trade' who have been having a nightmare getting the supplies they need.

Several reasons for lack of drivers including no HGV testing during lockdown, and foreign drivers going back to home countries and not (yet) returning.

Other goods and industries are/will be affected also.

M