BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Bees hating bark chippings

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10646  by beebench
 23 Apr 2021, 10:44
Hi, I have been creating a raised veg patch just outside my bee enclosure (separated by a 7ft trellis fence). I have had no issues working next to the bee enclosure whilst removing grass, membrane laying, building the raised beds and moving a ton of soil. I could see the bees happily buzzing around minding their own business.

However, when I came to move in the bark chippings to the veg area the bees went apoplectic. I was stung 3 times and, more unfortunately, my neighbour was stung twice. I haven't been able to finish laying the chippings I think I will need to do it in the dark! Has anyone had similar difficulties or know what is going on here? The chippings are hardwood chippings and don't have anything applied to them.
 #10649  by Patrick
 23 Apr 2021, 12:26
No, is the simple answer. However stored chippings do get damp and sweat and may be giving off a scent the bees dislike maybe? Once they are down and weathered a bit the problem may go away.

Are all your hives queen right? If one has suddenly lost its queen they often become narley.
 #10652  by cactusmike
 23 Apr 2021, 21:47
Well the weather has been extremely dry for the past few weeks and my bees have been busy taking water from any place nearby including big tubs with waterlilies in them.. Perhaps they were taking moisture from wet bark chippings and did not like to be disturbed. Of course there is a flow from local rape too right now.
 #10653  by NigelP
 24 Apr 2021, 08:07
There are some bark chippings in smaller bags (Lidl's for certain) that reek with a strange mouldy/plastic smell when first opened, this quickly dissipates as they dry out. It's possible this may have been the enringing factor on the day.
Particularly if used close the beehives.