BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• First Ever Bait Hive

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10626  by gwt_uk
 22 Apr 2021, 15:15
Hello all - I have put out my first ever bait hive in the garden. Used BB with an old brood frame in it. Half a dozen bees have turned up today showing a bit of interest and they are going in and out quite regularly.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if I am lucky enough to catch a swarm what does it look like when it is happening i.e. do they arrive en masse and go straight into the hive? Or would they likely settle on a nearby tree or similar first?

Thanks​
 #10627  by AdamD
 22 Apr 2021, 16:38
They usually arrive en mass and are all over the hive. Quite a sight. I have seen a couple of returning (mating) swarms but I have never seen a swarm freshly arriving in a bait hive.
 #10628  by gwt_uk
 22 Apr 2021, 16:55
Thanks. There are now dozens of bees showing an interest in the hive. From what I have read it can take a couple of weeks for anything to happen though?
 #10629  by Alfred
 22 Apr 2021, 17:38
It could be scavenger bees stealing wax if you have bait comb in there but equally also scout bees.
You will make no mistake when a swarm arrives ,the sky will be full of bees and the sound will drown out all other
You may see the core of the swarm,a darker concentration, drifting along like a tornado
All very spectacular.
 #10634  by MickBBKA
 23 Apr 2021, 00:40

It looks like this, unless you are more handsome than me, which is easy.....
 #10638  by gwt_uk
 23 Apr 2021, 08:09
MickBBKA wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 00:40

It looks like this, unless you are more handsome than me, which is easy.....
Great pic! Thank you