BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Painting Poly Hives/Poly Nucs

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10556  by Alfred
 14 Apr 2021, 19:50
Grrr I hate painting hiveware but was forced into refurbishment of a polynuc.
It did actually look a lot better but you're then doubly cautious about handling it afterwards.
It really helps to get it weathered for a seaeson or two to get rid of the silicon mould release and the surface slightly opened up to get a key.
Really good clean with detergent ,dry then masonry paint at least two coats.
I once read about the use of oil based wood / metal paint as it welds itself to the surface but no one else seems to know any further.
Scary.
I had some thymolated syrup that had separated slightly in a poly feeder.
It too burned holes into the poly material .
 #10561  by mikemadf
 15 Apr 2021, 08:08
I used a solvent based paint - Hammerite Garage Door Paint. It dissolves a LITTLE of the surface and forms a very strong bond. Still intact after 6 years.
 #10563  by AdamD
 15 Apr 2021, 09:15
I've used masonry paint - a shade of green. Mini-nucs are various colours and patterns of emulsion - this doesn't seem to wear any less.

It does need re-doing from time to time, for example at the entrance of one box, the paint has worn down by the actions of thousands of tiny little feet revealing the paint colour underneath.
 #10564  by Steve 1972
 15 Apr 2021, 09:39
I use green garage floor paint..as it is intended for floors it is really hard wearing and after two coats four years ago all my equipment painted with the stuff still looks the same as when it was first done.