BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Build up advice

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10424  by Liam
 30 Mar 2021, 11:37
Oxfordshire UK

So, I leant a lot last year and started my bee hives from nucs in May. Overwintered and looking very healthy, good stores, lots of pollen coming in and both hives have 3 full capped frames of brood. I obviously have not experienced bee-keeping at this time of year, so some advice please 👏.

I have two hives, both have 3 full capped frames of brood, good stores and pollen. Both have at-least one full frame of honey each, pollen and stores covering corners of other frames. Queen still has room to lay and the largest hive when you view from
The top are covering 10 frames. There is still room on the outside frames and some frames they are covering but not much in them.

My concern is overcrowding when the brood hatches. I plan on splitting the hives in May if they see fit to do so. For now I have put two frames of foundation in the hive, one each end and recycled the old frames that had nothing on in the hope that keeps them busy (was old black comb from nuc, plan on using it in swarm trap). Over Easter it is saying snow, so I wasn’t to keen on adding more room just yet.

My question: when would you add more room? Would you add another brood box or a super? (Considering I want to split in May) I understand about adding room in season but unsure on early season due to the random weather and wasn’t sure if advisable as they need to heat that room.

Any help appreciated.

P.s I have drawn out comb from last year spare if that helps, both super and brood frames.
 #10425  by NigelP
 30 Mar 2021, 12:04
I'd add a super unless queen is very prolific, but at 3 frames of brood doesn't sound that way. I always think it's better to air on the side of excess space sooner rather than later.
Bees don't heat supers, they keep the brood nest warm, a subtle but important difference.
I've got supers on most of mine and the bees are currently just ignoring them. They will get used when we get the first flows, which in North Yorkshire is not yet!
 #10426  by Liam
 30 Mar 2021, 13:42
NigelP wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 12:04
I'd add a super unless queen is very prolific, but at 3 frames of brood doesn't sound that way. I always think it's better to air on the side of excess space sooner rather than later.
Bees don't heat supers, they keep the brood nest warm, a subtle but important difference.
I've got supers on most of mine and the bees are currently just ignoring them. They will get used when we get the first flows, which in North Yorkshire is not yet!

Great, thanks, gives me a bit more confidence I can add a super as room. Will get that done today as I feel they need some room.