British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Best wood for Hives?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9123  by Chrisbarlow
 08 Oct 2020, 08:47
AndrewLD wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 07:43
I am all for Canadian WRC; the English cedar doesn't seem to have the same resistance to mould and may need treating.

Scaffold boards is a new one but I am thinking weight and has it been treated with something the bees wouldn't appreciate?
I think the weight would be the issue if anything , however I am under the impression that new boards are not treated with anything.

I agree about Canadian WRC and British WRC. I believe this is down to the time the tree is grown for. British cedar is harvested between 50-100yrs of age and grows faster due to being warmer here than Canada. Canadian WRC is harvested at 150yrs plus in age, and grows slower due to being colder. The age and speed of growth effects the oil content in the wood and the density of the wood.
 #9124  by AdamD
 08 Oct 2020, 09:02
The advantage of cedar is that you don't need chemical preservative / woodstain compared to other materials. It lasts for decades without it and there is no maintenance to do.
 #9127  by Patrick
 08 Oct 2020, 09:28
Hi Mark

I am a bit of a going back to basics and having a go yourself fan too, so I certainly understand the thought and I know it’s not just about the relative savings - I am surrounded by piles of kit for such enthusiasms, including a surprisingly expensive but interesting cheese making phase!

I do or have home made floors, crownboards, roofs and nucs but regarding brood boxes and supers, I have come to the conclusion that big manufacturers Seconds sales are hard to beat. They are cedar (English or otherwise) which really the best wood for the job, everything else is a compromise by comparison. They are machined accurately to nationally consistent dimensions, assemble easily and will last unmaintained your whole beekeeping life and some. And actually not that costly delivered free to your door. It’s a surprisingly tough bar to meet.

You don’t say what hive type you are aiming for but I have handled a fair amount of home made broods and supers. With some outstanding exceptions (generally made by people with very expensive wood working set ups), they have mostly left a lot to be desired. It may be better to go for stripped down designs like Commercial hives rather than Nationals if you want to give it a go. Yes I know it’s a boring response :lol:
 #9140  by Mark
 09 Oct 2020, 07:01
Thanks all
I have 2 nationals and a nuc with the nuc being transferred next season to a national. I know that red ceder is the favoured wood but im trying to find a disadvantage to cypress, everything i've read seems good, maybe its heavy im not sure so any information you folk have id be grateful for. but i shall talk to the chap who is helping about ceder as he's looking at pine at the moment.
Many thanks
 #9147  by RJC
 10 Oct 2020, 13:09
Cypress is a generic name; to many people WRC (Thuja plicata) also looks like a cypress, and it is a member of the same family anyway.