British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• 2020 sting count

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9032  by Alfred
 28 Sep 2020, 13:02
By this time last year I got walloped at least 30 times
This year only three
Once when trying to reunite a swarm that was bouncing along the bait hives fragmenting as it travelled along( they were useless bees anyway and got themselves robbed earlier this month so I've treated and fed them and it's up to them if they get through winter.)
Twice when vaping mites ,the most productive yet feisty colony objected.I was using my prototype vaping eke.
I had used two miles of duct tape around all the joints and apertures of the hives to seal the vapour inside and they were wise to it before the battery clips were on.
The following week I forgot the taping and discovered that the vapour didn't come out anyway- happy bees happy wallet.
 #9035  by NigelP
 28 Sep 2020, 16:33
Well done Alfred, seems you may have some "nice" bees. I've lost count....
As I was let down over a breeder queen the year previous I have too many F2 queens this year and some of them give me hell! I've stuck them all in one apiary site and the dears greet you as enter it and chase you off it later on....not pleasant. A lot of re-queening to be done next year.
 #9043  by Patrick
 28 Sep 2020, 22:44
Wow Alfred! Just three bee stings in a year?

My bees must be a lot worse than I thought - or, inconceivable I know, I must be really rubbish handling them 🙄😂😂!
 #9044  by Steve 1972
 29 Sep 2020, 13:12
Like Ngel i have too many F2 colonies and i have never been stung so many times as this year..just about every manipulation produced stings..
 #9045  by Patrick
 29 Sep 2020, 14:30
Sadly my glove supplier stopped stocking the blue long cuff nitrile gloves I used to use and replaced them with purple versions. Somewhat more sheer, they appear to be rather less resistant to stings, which is a shame. Only a few dozen pairs to go then..

I don’t know if it’s psychological, but winter stings always seem more painful. Perhaps the venom is matured like an old port..
 #9071  by MickBBKA
 05 Oct 2020, 01:23
28 colonies and had 8 stings, don't wear gloves. 5 stings from 1 colony with a 2020 queen who will be doomed by May 2021 ! :D
 #9093  by AdamD
 06 Oct 2020, 09:42
I get the odd sting now and again; I can't state how many although I don't expect to get stung during inspections. Sometimes a sting happens because I've squashed a bee and I can't blame her if she fights back. Occasionally one will get stuck in the hair when walking by and the easiest method of avoid being stung is to smack the head and kill it. One colony this year developed into followers with a 2020 queen; it has now been re-queened although there may still be a few of them that will be alive in March next year.
 #9094  by AndrewLD
 06 Oct 2020, 10:44
Same as Adam.....
I have recently moved over to nitrile gloves as a hygiene measure with no complaints so far.
I don't expect to get stung but on the other hand I never assume that I won't. Docile bees can have a change of mood anytime so I am counting my blessings whilst it lasts
 #9095  by NigelP
 06 Oct 2020, 11:07
MickBBKA wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 01:23
28 colonies and had 8 stings, don't wear gloves. 5 stings from 1 colony with a 2020 queen who will be doomed by May 2021 ! :D
I'm short of queens for next year.....pop her in cage and I'll collect...
 #9100  by Bobbysbees
 06 Oct 2020, 18:17
Only have 2 hives so far and only taken 1 sting. That was the day i collected my first nuc. Was my own fault because i took my jacket and veil off after we had inspected a few hives in the guys garden and got one in my fringe. Should have swatted it but it got me right in the eyebrow grrr. Id been stood in a tiny back garden with over 10 hive cheek by jowel chatting for a half hour before i put my gear on. Guess they didnt like us opening them up. A fitting welcome in to the beekeeping community :lol: