BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Queenless in August

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #608  by Nigel Pringle
 13 Sep 2018, 20:37
Yeti, they are not yet laying winter bees...these start being laid a bit later usually around late September through October..timing depends a bit on where you live. It is not uncommon for many queens to go off the lay this time of year, particularly when thymol treatments have been used against varroa...so patience.
 #613  by AdamD
 14 Sep 2018, 10:22
YETI wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:53
There is plenty of space for her to lay in now.
I there is space where you would expect to see brood - i.e. the bees have polished cells in the middle of the brood area, then you are fairly safe to assume that there is a queen present as bees will generally fill those cells with food if there is no queen. If there is very little forage where you are, it may be difficult to see though - the area of polished cells is much easier to see if there is plenty of food coming in or you give them a couple of litres of syrup.
 #615  by Patrick
 14 Sep 2018, 12:55
Thanks Adam, well pointed out. Another very good indication of possible queen -less-ness -ness.

May sometimes be confused by heavy feeding when they just don't have anywhere else to put it and they temporarily shove it anywhere.
 #626  by YETI
 14 Sep 2018, 19:15
Am more than happy to report that we are not Queenless! Phew. Feel very foolish for panicking but I would be devastated if we lost another colony. 😀
 #631  by Patrick
 14 Sep 2018, 21:27
Fantastic news Yeti, cheers for the update.

You are not the first and sure as heck won’t be the last to think a hive is queenless.

I remember saying confidently to a bee inspector I thought one of of mine was and he very gently pointed out the patch of eggs on the frame he was holdings. It was about then I started wearing glasses whilst doing inspections..!!
:oops: :D