BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Winter feed

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9019  by AdamD
 26 Sep 2020, 13:26
Hi Gastrick, welcome to the forum.
If you have a feeder over the feed-hole and the bees aren't coming up, you can dribble a little syrup down and around the hole to help the bees find it. However if the syrup has been on for a while, it may have started to ferment, in which case the bees won't want it and it needs to be discarded, the feeder cleaned to remove any yeasts and then filled again.
 #9028  by Alfred
 27 Sep 2020, 18:53
Patrick wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 19:50
Interesting range there. I made some Ashworths which do work well. I must say I do tend now to use the square plastic English feeders which take 6L when level. Mine of course aren’t. So brim full you are looking at around 5l. To my perpetual astonishment some emptied their first full feed in 24 hrs and then did it again with a second. They did slow down with a third mind. I sometimes use the 2.5l ones but it’s too much work to use on all hives when the bigger ones are available and they are less “rapid”.
I'm having the same here,I'm using English feeders ,a big green maisemore jumbo feeder,pairs of 2l round rapid feeders, and fondant in the nucs,and they devoured the first two loads within 24hrs each.They've slowed down now but that's still 70 kg in well under a week.They all have their own honey stocks too bar the one that was robbed.
I finished feeding in Mid October last year but the hives heft well already.
Not certain if I might stop as restart feeds to give an opportunity for extra brood to be laid