BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Apitraz Strips & Varroa Pics

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #4557  by Japey Edge
 17 Aug 2019, 20:51
Hi everyone!

Today I put two Apitraz strips in one of my hives and one strip in my nuc. The other hive which is still making me honey (slowly) isn't getting treated.
I cleaned out my inspection tray and slid it back in.

I noticed only an hour or so later, in a quick count, 12 or more varroa had dropped. Is this stuff really that quick? Or are my bees just so ramped with varroa?

Questions:
1. Have I timed this about right to start treating?
2. Should I start feeding these with invert mixed with thymol?
3. What treatments would you advise next and when?

Anyway, I took some pics and even a video! Here:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av81dIXQWFUjpFycYnUzPrwf9akj

#4569  by AdamD
 18 Aug 2019, 10:29
Treatment timing is fine - I've not used Apitraz myself yet. The disturbance of the hive may have resulted in a bit of activity in the hive hence the varroa dropping.. But a dead varroa is a good varroa in my book!
Invert syrup doesn't usually ferment - is the thymol in there aimed at stopping fermenting or something else?

You shouldn't need to do any more treatment for varroa for a while - if it works and if your bees don't rob out someone else's varroa damaged colony.

I usually treat with Oxalic Acid between Christmas and New Year. The drop can be between almost nothing and several hundred.
 #4572  by Japey Edge
 18 Aug 2019, 14:41
Thanks Adam.
Had a chat with Nigel today and I think I'll let the thought of invert go and just feed sugar syrup to my three colonies.
I was going to put thymol in as I read it helps them with nosema? It was just a preventative measure. Is it worth doing?

What other options are there in late December? I don't have the kit or the confidence for vaping them. I could stick my remaining Apitraz strips in?
 #4579  by AdamD
 19 Aug 2019, 13:48
You can dribble oxalic acid rather than vape. As you are aware, oxalic acid works at it's best when there is no sealed brood in the comb and is good in winter or when the colony is otherwise broodless - caught swarm for example. I would keep Apitraz for next year. Apart from the oxalic acid treatment, my view is that colonies need to be left alone over winter, and unmolested. You'll have to find something else to do over winter! :lol:
 #4583  by Japey Edge
 20 Aug 2019, 06:07
AdamD wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 13:48
You can dribble oxalic acid rather than vape. As you are aware, oxalic acid works at it's best when there is no sealed brood in the comb and is good in winter or when the colony is otherwise broodless - caught swarm for example. I would keep Apitraz for next year. Apart from the oxalic acid treatment, my view is that colonies need to be left alone over winter, and unmolested. You'll have to find something else to do over winter! :lol:
Yeah I need to prepare myself for leaving them alone through winter :roll:
I'm sure I'll find something else to do! Haha! Cheers Adam.