BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Propolis - Price of

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #1722  by Chrisbarlow
 20 Jan 2019, 16:01
Does any one sell flakes of propolis. I have been reading a Ron Brownbook this morning and he wrote that he sold small bags of propolis. Does any one do similar and if so, what price do you charge?
 #1723  by NigelP
 20 Jan 2019, 17:36
In many years of selling I have been asked once for propolis...she was Russian, where they use it a lot (Common name is Russian Penicillin). Price wise no idea. Work out your time to scrape it off the frames, bag it etc and take it from there.
 #1725  by AdamD
 20 Jan 2019, 19:12
I have a couple of tubs of it which I have collected but I have not yet used it for anything (same goes for blocks of wax which sit around and are rarely used). It would be nice that there is a market for it but I have no idea what it's worth either.
 #1727  by Chrisbarlow
 20 Jan 2019, 20:47
NigelP wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 17:36
In many years of selling I have been asked once for propolis...she was Russian, where they use it a lot (Common name is Russian Penicillin). Price wise no idea. Work out your time to scrape it off the frames, bag it etc and take it from there.
I have been asked several times for a tincture but never just propolis. However I might start bagging a little up in Summer. I think if I set up a propolis trap and harvest a little and then reflect on time spent, it might give me a clue to a price.
 #1729  by Patrick
 20 Jan 2019, 22:36
Good question. Rather like beeswax, it’s the old principle of finding someone prepared to pay for it and what you are prepared to collect and sell it for. Personally I have never been asked for it either tho a colleague sucks on it when they get a cold and swears by it. I suspect the value depends on purity as well, old frame scrapings may not cut some applications. I have tried it myself and lived.😀

I remember there was a commercial operation offering a market some years ago but required a substantial free sample sent first to “test”before potentially paying for further supplies. Yeah right, pal.

I have not tried tinctures. Medicines and cosmetics (understandably) have a prodigious regulatory framework, which dissuaded me from going down that route.
 #1736  by nealh
 21 Jan 2019, 18:59
Propolis isn't very weighty so even 20 or 30 grams is quite a bit, time scraping bits off can be time consuming and the cost of a propolis collection tray is more added expense. Being an uncommon commodity price is what someone is wiling to pay, added health benefits and the long list of vitamins & organics etc, (naturally) contained then you can name your own price.
UK produced local raw propolis £5 for 20g ?

The composition of ingredients naturally found in propolis seems to be something in the line of the following, % of compositions ?

Vitamins A Retinol.
B1 THiamin.
B2 Riboflavin.
B3 Niacin
B7 Biotin.
C Ascorbic Acid.
E
Bioflavonoids Metabolites.
Calcium.
Magnesium.
Iron.
Zinc.
Silicon.
Potassium.
Phosphorous.
Manganese.
Cobalt.
Copper.
 #1739  by NigelP
 22 Jan 2019, 09:06
Ebay has sticks of raw propolis at £1.70 per 10g plus £1 postage.
https://tinyurl.com/yaxqhxgs
 #1740  by Patrick
 22 Jan 2019, 13:35
Typically, the description (of Bulgarian propolis in this case) includes some quite extravagant medical claims, as usual in these matters, with absolutely no evidence given. Probably the least concerning of which includes use as a dental alternative to fluoride.

If you enjoy having healthy albeit bright orange teeth, I am sure it just works a treat!
 #1749  by DianeBees
 24 Jan 2019, 10:25
I know a local beekeeper who was after some for his tinctures...

I'm not sure what he'd pay but I can find out if you want!
 #1751  by Chrisbarlow
 24 Jan 2019, 13:19
thanks for the ideas. Diane if you dont mind, that would be useful.

the ebay is link is interesting both on price/weight and but also the shape, inline with Adams suggestion of £5 per 20g

I was thinking more flakes in bags but rolling it, its an idea.

I have some insect meshing, that I am going to stick on the hive come season and then freeze and scrape. I will then have a better idea on work involved and resulting product amount.

famous last words, how hard can it be?